Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new house looking for some help.

hello
the names runaway,just bought my first house and have some wiring issues maybe u can help me with.

i bought a 2500sqft duplex that was seized from a foreclosure, for $9200 the home last sold in 2012 for $112,000. i got this house for that price because they took every piece of metal out when they left,thats furnaces hot water heaters even the metal for the drop ceiling.

as for the wiring they cut the wires at the box leaving like 6 inches sticking out. they cut the wire only where the could grab. its hard to explain let me ask my question and maybe it will clear it up.it has newer wire it was maybe rewired about five years or so ago.

so can i run a new wire from the panel acrossed the twenty or so feet that they cut out and link the new run to the old one ? is it just as easy as getting a junction box to cover the wire patch.

or am i stuck with a rewire? thanks for your time

runaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaway View Post
hello
the names runaway,just bought my first house and have some wiring issues maybe u can help me with.

Instering name to heard that but not to worry about it now but read on you will get the answer from moi.

i bought a 2500sqft duplex that was seized from a foreclosure, for $9200 the home last sold in 2012 for $112,000. i got this house for that price because they took every piece of metal out when they left,thats furnaces hot water heaters even the metal for the drop ceiling.

I am not too surpised with that espcally when someone was forced kickout with forecloseure can result pretty ugly rearend events it don't matter which place ya at. I have see simauir situation over here in France as well.

The main reason why they preferage ( take ) them for scrap value espcally with copper conductors or pipes.

as for the wiring they cut the wires at the box leaving like 6 inches sticking out. they cut the wire only where the could grab. its hard to explain let me ask my question and maybe it will clear it up.it has newer wire it was maybe rewired about five years or so ago.

That nothing new to moi., I have ran into this from time to time whatever the location they cut the cable off sometime you may get lucky with it but most case I useally cut the drywall open about half meter wide swath all around the room as needed to due I will run new cables in and the other reason why due some case when someone cut the cable they can tug it hard and cause hidden damage in there.

So that one reason why I tear the drywall open and visbually look at all the conductor to see any aftermath damage to the cables ( most case it is kinda 50/50 shot but I rather cover the base good.)

so can i run a new wire from the panel acrossed the twenty or so feet that they cut out and link the new run to the old one ? is it just as easy as getting a junction box to cover the wire patch.

or am i stuck with a rewire? thanks for your time
My reply in Bleu now if you have open access in basement it may be not too bad you can use the junction box but gernally I will try to advoid it much as possible as you see why I will cut the drywall open in first place.

Second thing I am not sure where the location you are in but I have a feeling that you will have to watch which circuit you hook them up due some will required AFCI breakers ( check with your local codes reguarding of this )

And check with your inspector to see if they will let homeowner do the electrique work in the duplex houses I know in some area in Wisconsin and in France where I am now they will not let homeowner do any wiring in the duplex house at all. ( they treat this rule as multifamily or apartment )

Cost wise that you should check with your electrician to take a look and give you a qoute to see what the cost and I will suggest that you do get the plummer to check the plumming system and HVAC contractor to check the furance and related items espcally with A/C unit which I know someone will find a way with copper tubings.

Bon Chance.

Merci,
Marc

Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,478

I think you should be able to do that if the wiring is modern. Can't do it if knob an tube is involved.
All connections must be in junction boxes. The junction boxes must remain accessible. They can NOT be buried under drywall. They can be covered by a drop ceiling with removable tiles.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,034

Quote:
or am i stuck... ?
You are so stuck...

curious...
I get worried when the people who ask questions buy this sort of property. Do you have any construction trades experience of any sort?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
You are so stuck...

curious...
I get worried when the people who ask questions buy this sort of property. Do you have any construction trades experience of any sort?
OP... As Tarheel notes... hopefully your name is runaway... and your property is not the "runaway".

However, I can't see /inspect the property, but I think ya got a hell of a good price and can't imagine that you can not rehab that property with good value to spare, even subing out alot of the work. (I'm assuming the property was just stripped, not extensively vandalized with flooding or structural damage.)

Resigne yourself to a lot of rehab cost and alot of sweat equity and learning.... but no one was born knowing the trades... everyone had to learn... and it can be alot of fun.

I do think French brings up a very good point in re to electrical... in that you generally should try to do everything right, and not cheap it or jury rig it or ....some other terms similar.

That applies to all your home systems also... in my opinion. There is a tendency to get it up and running, but if it appears as a hack job, you'll loose alot of value. Better to take your time, consistant with your pocketbook, and do it correctly.

Good going with it
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 562

I'd be leary of the occupants in the other unit if they claim they didn't see or hear any demo going on. Hauling out the furnace,water heater, ceiling track,wiring.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #7

hello
i thank you all for your answers and concern for the safety of my family.

the damage is in the basement all junctions will be in a open exposed area.
no wire was pulled or ripped out they cut it they didnt steal all of it,just like 20 feet or so off each run.

i have all sorts of experience in many trades i just have not dabbled in electric.

here is a photo of the property if u would like to see more i will gladly show you.
Attached Thumbnails
new house looking for some help.-122.jpg  
Old 06-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

geez... Alfully good looking property for pocket change. Nice find... Where do ya live.... Is this Detroit.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #9

hello
i am in michigan but a hour or so north of detroit. i will try to get pictures of the wiring late.r
Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
hello
i am in michigan but a hour or so north of detroit. i will try to get pictures of the wiring late.r
Please do post the photos that will clear up the details on them.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 256

Not sure about Michigan code, but if you are going to rehab it to rent out as a duplex again I would have a licensed electrician at least "on record" as having looked at and approved of all work before and after. Only reason I say this is because most city building inspectors etc. are well aware of the issues and consequences of all the homes being foreclosed and/or walked away from and might prove to be a problem if the home is a rental again. Thing is once they become "abandon" they're much easier for the inspectors and city to gain access and make notes and the banks etc. are usually very cooperative with them "taking a look".

Always better to do it right the first time than to get some inspector knocking at the door with a whole clipboard full of check off sheets and extra pens and nothing better to do because there aren't that many new homes being built. Just sayin. :D
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #12

hello
this will not be a rental my son will live on the other side.
this house was a rental as current as 2010 and passed code in that year with the wiring the way it was.

here are some pictures of the wiring
Attached Thumbnails
new house looking for some help.-img_1308.jpg   new house looking for some help.-img_1312.jpg   new house looking for some help.-img_1315.jpg   new house looking for some help.-img_1311.jpg   new house looking for some help.-img_1309.jpg  

new house looking for some help.-img_1317.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
" Euro " electrician

Oh man ., I can see where this goes but I am suprised that they did not cut the larger cables yet just common 14 or 12 gauge conductors.

As long you leave the basement unfinshed you can have junction box with out issue but before you start the rewireing or reconnect the circuits run this info with the inspectors first to see if they do requried AFCI or not..

And you will have to trace each circuit carefull when you hook them back on to make sure it is not cross connected.

I can tell some were rewired if they did ran in old work format then it will be eaiser to just tie in old cable and pull the new one in so you can reduce the amount of junciton box and splices points.

Bon Chance.

Merci,
Marc