New Here And Help Needed With Multiple Flourescent Install - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Here and help needed with multiple flourescent install

Happy Turkey Day folks! Wanted to say hello and that I appreciate any/all the info the members have posted already.

The project I'm currently working on is a 4 fixture fluorescent light install in my garage. I have done the load calc and won't exceed the circuit capacity. I need some help getting this thing wired correctly.

I will be taking power from an existing attic source. I would like 2 lights on 1 switch and the other 2 on a second switch. I realize I could run power down to the switches first then back out to the lights (daisy chained together), but wouldn't a 2 switch loops be the way to go? If someone could lay out the right way to make this happen I would appreciate it!

Advertisement

TIAG02M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

It's your choice whether to use switch loops versus run the power to the switch box first.

The wiring is neater for two switches in the same box if you run the power to the switch box.

If you run power to a light fixture, it is best to run the switch loops out of the same fixture, call it #1. Here you daisy chain to the other fixture (call it #2) that will be on the same switch (don't make the connections yet).

Run a cable from #1 to #3. Run a cable from #3 to #4.

Run two cables from fixture #1 to the switch box to become the switch loops (optional, run one 3 wire cable).

Connect together all the whites excluding the one(s) going down to the switches.

Connect the power black to the white(s) going to the switches.

One switch black connects to the black for fixture #1 (and #2).

The other switch black (or red) connects to the continuation from fixture #1 to fixture #3.

Connect the remaining loose blacks to each other.

(Actually you could run the switch loop for #3 and #4 out of #3 in which case the continuation from #1 to #3 is treated as power in. Except for this, running the switch loop to a different fixture than the incoming power necessitates 3 wire cable between the fixture where the power comes in and the fixture where the switch loop goes out.)

For conduit wiring (individually strung conductors), use red or blue instead of white in switch loops.

For those eavesdropping, if you had three switches, two 2 conductor cables (one unswitched power conductor, 3 switched power conductors) will not suffice. A white may not be the switched power coming back in a switch loop.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-26-2009 at 06:18 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,514

Power to switches is probably the best choice for this job.
The way you want to do it would work like this.
power to one first light set. power to one of second light set.
cable form each light to switch box(2 cables).
Cable from light one to light two of each set.

The other way.

Power to switch box.
Cable to light one then light two. Repeat for second set.

Without knowing the layout of the room and location of power source it's hard to say which would use less cable. That is what determines how I wire it.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the tips guys. It sounds like the consensus is to run power down to the switches first. All I need is 3 14/2 cables to the switch box, correct? 1 power and 2 out to each light set.

The layout of the room makes things real easy to work on, the attic is easily accessible.
TIAG02M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIAG02M3 View Post
All I need is 3 14/2 cables to the switch box, correct? 1 power and 2 out to each light set
Correct -

I am doing similar in a current upgrade of my workshop garage. One 14/2 from the breaker box to a three gang switch box near the service door - then three 14/2 runs from the three gang switch box (one each to the garage door light, the service door light, and the interior lights).
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote