Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new garage

I currently have a 100 amp service in my house and have recently had a 30x30x10 garage installed in my back yard. I am going to install a 200 amp service in my home and run a 100 amp sub out to the garage. I know I will need to replace the meter, box, and the wire from the service entrance to the box. my question is will I have to replace the wire from the pole to the service entrance, what size and type of wire should I run underground or should i just have a new meter and service installed in the garage and save the time and money.

overkill1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:43 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

new garage

Most places if you have two services then you will pay two monthy fees to the utility regardless of how much electricity you use. It is cheeper, over time, to only have the one utility bill.

As to your question about if you will need to replace the wire to the pole: You need to call your utity company. Most places, they own and maintain this wire. It depends on thier charter.

Edit to add: Your local building dept, or any local electrical contractor would also be able to answer this question.

jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

new garage

Sounds like you're running some serious power to your garage. What do you plan on doing in there? --- avoiding the wife?
head_dunce is offline   Reply With Quote