DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   new garage (

overkill1120 10-09-2006 08:46 PM

new garage
I currently have a 100 amp service in my house and have recently had a 30x30x10 garage installed in my back yard. I am going to install a 200 amp service in my home and run a 100 amp sub out to the garage. I know I will need to replace the meter, box, and the wire from the service entrance to the box. my question is will I have to replace the wire from the pole to the service entrance, what size and type of wire should I run underground or should i just have a new meter and service installed in the garage and save the time and money.

jwhite 10-10-2006 05:43 AM

Most places if you have two services then you will pay two monthy fees to the utility regardless of how much electricity you use. It is cheeper, over time, to only have the one utility bill.

As to your question about if you will need to replace the wire to the pole: You need to call your utity company. Most places, they own and maintain this wire. It depends on thier charter.

Edit to add: Your local building dept, or any local electrical contractor would also be able to answer this question.

head_dunce 11-19-2006 07:18 PM

Sounds like you're running some serious power to your garage. What do you plan on doing in there? --- avoiding the wife? :thumbsup:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1