New Exterior Soffit Box For Recessed Lighting - Questions! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Exterior Soffit Box for Recessed Lighting - Questions!

I'm having a new roof installed and have asked the contractor to extend the soffit box to allow enough room for the installation of the smallest recessed lights available. I'm assuming I would get 4" lights.

Now the problem is the contractor does not do electrical work, so they said I need to hire an electrician to install the lights after they build the box. So my question is, how wide and high does the soffit box need to be to allow room for installation of the cans and be safe from the high heat that will be produced by the lights? I'm afraid I will have the box built and when the electrician comes he will say there's not enough room. My house is small so I want to keep it as small as possible.

Should I get an electrician to look at the job before I get the soffit built so he can advise on the size needed? The roofer doesn't seem to have these answers and is just going to wing it in building the box.

Do electricians usually supply the lights and cans as part of the wiring job? Or should I start shopping and have them ready for the electrician to install? Or should the roofing contractor be installing the cans and then the electrician will come in to do just the wiring?

I don't know in what order things should be done.

Thanks!

Advertisement

AdviceWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

go to Halo lighting pick the cans u want read the specs ....
insulated or none isulated ...

LED lights have little heat and last 10 times longer ...

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

Thanks, do electricians usually install the cans or is that asking too much?

Are they expecting to just show up and do the wiring or can they frame the cans in the soffit? Will it be difficult for them to remove the soffit?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

cans and wirung first then the soffit material by the framers/siding guys/roofers
Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #5

OK, I've been re-thinking my plan of having a soffit box made to accommodate the smallest 4" recessed lights I've found in stores. I think my small house will look out of place by extending the existing 5" soffit box by another 6". Not only would I be extending the soffit, I would have to extend the gable to line up with it.

I currently have approximately 5" width of soffit running along the front of my house with a brick-faced gable in the middle. I really don't want to change the facade of the house and would prefer to squeeze the smallest lights possible in the space I already have.

I went to a local lighting store and they told me the smallest size they can order is 4". However, I've been looking online and I found some 1" and 2" lights. Do you think these would be worth installing? Would they produce enough light to shine down on my landscaping? Would the 5" width I have be enough space to install a 1" or 2" light? I know I should search for the lights I want and look at the specs, but this is all so overwhelming for me and I was hoping to get your expert advice.

I left a message for my local electrician, but I'm anxious to hear what other's thoughts are in the meantime. I need to make a decision very soon.

Thanks!!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

This really needs some outside pictures.

We went with some 4" old work cans the soffit of our new house. The area out there has no insulation, so it didn't matter using IC vs non-IC fixtures. The 4" units had *just enough* clearance to work. I can't check it now because there's now drywall installed and itchy attic insulation. We installed them to provide a down-light wash on the house. I can't see these being useful to highlight landscaping as they're 2nd floor soffits. For a 1 floor house, maybe. How high up would yours be?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #7

Here's a picture of the house. It's not a close-up of the soffit, but you can get an idea of the size of the house and how bulky an extension would be. If I extend the soffit about 5", then the brick gable peak trim also needs to be extended to line up with everything else. I'm afraid the brick will be too boxed in and look swallowed up. I think I'd rather put a nice light fixture above the door.

So what do you think about being able to squeeze some recessed lights under the soffit? Or how do you think it would look with an extension? Can I do less than a 5" extension? Or forget the whole idea and just put the light above the door?

Advertisement