Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
She'sapainter

Rewards Points: 75

New Electrical /Installing cealing fan...helpppp

I am trying to install a new ceiling fan, Just built a second level on the house and the electrical is new to rough finish.

I had the electrian run the wires to the house 2 switches so that the light was on one switch and the fan on the other . I started to hook the fan up and realized the the light having 2 (hot wires) 1 for the fan and 1 for the light but there is only one commen wire can I connect the 2 commen from the box to the ceiling fan or do I have to piggy back the one commen from the ceiling fan first

Old 03-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Only in la-la land ....

JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
When is fishing season?

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by tverhoef View Post
I am trying to install a new ceiling fan, Just built a second level on the house and the electrical is new to rough finish.

I had the electrian run the wires to the house 2 switches so that the light was on one switch and the fan on the other . I started to hook the fan up and realized the the light having 2 (hot wires) 1 for the fan and 1 for the light but there is only one commen wire can I connect the 2 commen from the box to the ceiling fan or do I have to piggy back the one commen from the ceiling fan first
Your description was a little confusing. Let's clarify a few things first.

The fan/light should have 4 wires total. Blue for the light power, black for the fan power, white for the neutral for BOTH the fan and light and a bare ground wire.

In your switch box, how many wires are there? chances are there will be one of the following scenerios:

(in switchbox)
#1)
3 sets of cables, 1 will be the incoming power (always hot), 1 will go to the light and the other will go to the fan

#2)
2 sets of cables, both being switch loops and the power source will be at the fan/light box

#3)
1 cable, switch loop to control JUST the fan OR the light OR both at the same time.

#4)2 sets of cables, 1 being the incoming power the other being 3 wire (plus ground) and having a red wire also, where the red would go to the light and the black would go to the fan, or vice versa

#5)1 cable with 3 wires (plus ground) being a switchloop just liek #2, but with 1 more wire (red) for the switch loop for the either the fan or light.

keep in mind when I say cable, that means there are 3 wires in each cable - 1 black, 1 white, 1 bare ground and 4 wires in the *3 wire* cable, 1 black, 1 red, 1 white and 1 bare ground.

Do any of these situations sound like it? It would be really helpful to know how many and what color wires are in both the switchbox and the fan/light box in the ceiling.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Yes the white (common) is for the fan AND the light. Blue lead from fan should be light, black for fan, white for neutral, green for ground.

You should not have two commons from the fan.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 AM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tverhoef View Post

I think what you are saying is that, in the ceiling box, you have 2 black wires and 2 white wires. One set for fan an one set for the light. This isn't the standard way to do it, but is the cable the electrician used non-metallic? That is, romex? If so, then just pick one of the white wires from the ceiling box and cap the other off. This is only OK if the type of wiring used isn't metallic covered.

InPhase277
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
She'sapainter

Rewards Points: 75

Thank you everyone I got it installed