DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   New electric services for duplex. (

jimmerz 12-04-2012 08:03 PM

New electric services for duplex.
Hoping somebody can help me out here.

My family owns a duplex (rental property) that has two old 60 amp. fuseboxes that feed each unit.

I was planning on replacing these with 100 amp. breaker boxes , and a new double meter base, however the supplier that I bought these from gave me only 100 amp. entrance cable.

Shouldn't the cable from the weatherhead to the meter base be 200 amp. entrance cable? And 100 amp. from each meter to each panel?

Thanks, Jimmerz

bobelectric 12-04-2012 09:22 PM

Service cable can be sized by computed load.!00 amp cable is probably too small to feed the meter base.

dmxtothemax 12-04-2012 09:36 PM

I dont think that the minimum size of cable is mandated !
It is really up to the instaler to size appropriatily.
How ever 100a seems a bit low for 2 units,
So I would go for 200a.

jimmerz 12-05-2012 07:40 PM

Thanks guys!

Kinda what I figured.... Being as each panel could potentially draw 100 amps before blowing the main breaker, 100 x 2 = 200 amp. cable to feed the meter can. Neither unit will draw more than 100 amps. , probably at most 80 amps.

Jim Port 12-05-2012 08:53 PM

A load calculation is the proper way to size the service and cables.

TTW 12-05-2012 08:59 PM

What actual size wire did you get?

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.