Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #1

Share |

New Dishwasher Wiring Problem

I was told to start a new thread because the thread I was trying to get answers on to a similar question was old, and causing some people stress. PROBLEM: We moved a dishwasher and the contractor capped off the hard-wire that went to the dishwasher and then it got covered by the new cabinets but you can still see the ends of the capped off wires. The breaker was shared with a light switch in the basement storage room. BUT now the contractor is gone and I am left with a new space to put the dishwasher in and there isn't any wiring except the hard-wire for the garbage disposal that looks like it may draw power from the counter top receptacle, but I'm not sure cuz that's not hooked up either. The electrical contractor I had come look is fairly green. He was talking about tapping into the power that was there and creating a new receptacle with a switch to place back under my sink to switch on the disposal and to plug in my dishwasher. What do I do?! By the way, I don't think my fridge is on a separate circuit either. My house is from the 50's Thanks, Joelle
LuLuLovesU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Licensed Electrician

The first thing the EC should do is look at the specs of both the dishwasher and disposal. In all likelihood you will have two options:

1) a new, separate 20A circuit will need to be pulled from the panel if one isn't already there to power both the dishwasher and disposal
2) a new, separate 15A circuit will need to be pulled from the panel to power just the dishwasher

k_buz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Electrician

Hi Joelle. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. What do you do? Get at least three estimates from licensed electricians.

It sounds like permits were not pulled and inspections were not done. Because at least one part of your situation is illegal and unsafe. "Ends of capped off" wires are showing, is wrong. They need to be in a box. Either with a device or with a blank cover.

The fridge: In new houses there are a minimum of two 20A circuits to supply kitchen receptacles, et al. The fridge is allowed on one of them. So, the fridge is only a problem if the rest of your kitchen is under powered.

Any electrician with minimal tools should be able to tell if the hard wire for the disposal is on it's own circuit. If you want to do it, ask me how.

Dishwashers and disposals go on the same circuit all the time. So your green electrician's plan might be legal and safe. The only way to know is, get a permit and get it inspected.

If you want a course in all the rules that apply to this situation, I can give it a shot.
Glennsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glennsparky For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (04-16-2013)