Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

New dishwasher wiring

OK so my house doesn't have a dishwasher and I am in the process of installing one. As for the electrical I am going the direct wiring route. Since the dishwasher has it own junction box can i simply drill a hole through the floor in the next cabinets over and drop the wiring into my basement and route it to the panel or do I have to Install a old work box in the wall and just extend the romex to the dishwasher? I'm not sure if all states have different requirements but if it does I live in Bellevue Ne and looking at the website I didnt see anything related to this and the office is closed today to ask? Thanks in advance

Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Master Electrician

New dishwasher wiring

Directly to the DW is acceptable in most instances unless local ordinances prohibit it.

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #3

New dishwasher wiring

I really appreciate the response. I am going to drill a hole through the side cabinet floor and run the power through there. Now all I have to find a 10 foot drainage and supply line.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #4

Exclamation

New dishwasher wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
OK so my house doesn't have a dishwasher and I am in the process of installing one. As for the electrical I am going the direct wiring route. Since the dishwasher has it own junction box can i simply drill a hole through the floor in the next cabinets over and drop the wiring into my basement and route it to the panel or do I have to Install a old work box in the wall and just extend the romex to the dishwasher? I'm not sure if all states have different requirements but if it does I live in Bellevue Ne and looking at the website I didnt see anything related to this and the office is closed today to ask? Thanks in advance
It's OK to connect directly to the breaker/s. But you'll need a cutoff switch "Within Sight" in the area of the dishwasher!?!!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

New dishwasher wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark plug View Post
It's OK to connect directly to the breaker/s. But you'll need a cutoff switch "Within Sight" in the area of the dishwasher!?!!
Really? this is the first I've heard about a switch. Not questioning you but this is news to me. What if I install a plug style outlet , Do I still need to make it a switch outlet.
Also if I'm doing a direct wire from the breaker to the dishwasher how do install a switch if it a direct wire. Technically its not a direct connection for
say.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #6

New dishwasher wiring

Check with your local codes if the switch is needed
I've never had a switch for any dishwasher around here
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #7

Smile

New dishwasher wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Really? this is the first I've heard about a switch. Not questioning you but this is news to me. What if I install a plug style outlet , Do I still need to make it a switch outlet.
Also if I'm doing a direct wire from the breaker to the dishwasher how do install a switch if it a direct wire. Technically its not a direct connection for
say.
OK I should have stipulated (when a switch is required) It's NOT required on a residential dishwasher! My mistake. But. where (a switch is) required, the wiring from the breaker goes directly to the cutoff switch and from there to the appliance. (No brainer?!)
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

New dishwasher wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Check with your local codes if the switch is needed
I've never had a switch for any dishwasher around here
I have see it in State of Wisconsin { there are few local code do require it } especially if hard wired but for cord and plug verion it kinda toss up all it depending on the AJH

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote