DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   New Construction or Remodel Recessed Housings? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/new-construction-remodel-recessed-housings-121143/)

chewbakarox 10-24-2011 12:56 PM

New Construction or Remodel Recessed Housings?
 
I am starting a recessed lighting project where I will have attic access. Given that I can use either new construction or recessed housings, my question is which one you guys recommend. Assuming the cost for them is the same, is one easier to install than the other? Or are there any other drawbacks to either? If it matters, I have batt insulation in the attic so the housings will be IC. Thanks in advance.

oh'mike 10-24-2011 01:03 PM

I would probably use remodeling cans---that way most of the work is done from a nice clean ladder instead of face down in the insulation----That's me---let's see what others have to say----Mike---

jimmy21 10-24-2011 01:10 PM

i hate remodel cans. I always choose new construction if there is access. Although the other day i chose remodel cans because i would have been army crawling through knee deep blown in insulation.

clashley 10-24-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewbakarox (Post 755643)
I am starting a recessed lighting project where I will have attic access. Given that I can use either new construction or recessed housings, my question is which one you guys recommend. Assuming the cost for them is the same, is one easier to install than the other? Or are there any other drawbacks to either? If it matters, I have batt insulation in the attic so the housings will be IC. Thanks in advance.

I used new construction cans when I installed the recessed lighting in my living room. The insulation in the attic was a bit of a bear, but at least I could see what I was doing.

jimmy21 10-24-2011 02:19 PM

I prefer to be able to nail my can lights into the framing rather than relying sheetrock. Also, your wiring should be secured anyway if it is accessible, so your not really saving any time by using remodel cans.

BobsDiy 12-19-2015 10:43 AM

I realize this is an old thread but rather than start another with the same question -

The area in question does not need IC. I have completely removed the drywall from the ceiling. I can use either remodel or new construction recessed lights and I can secure the wiring just fine.

So other than installation ease and price difference, do I really care which housing type - remodel vs new construction - after they are installed? They're not going to be heavy enough to affect the drywall shape with their weight.

Thanks

MrElectricianTV 12-19-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsDiy (Post 2804650)
I realize this is an old thread but rather than start another with the same question -

The area in question does not need IC. I have completely removed the drywall from the ceiling. I can use either remodel or new construction recessed lights and I can secure the wiring just fine.

So other than installation ease and price difference, do I really care which housing type - remodel vs new construction - after they are installed? They're not going to be heavy enough to affect the drywall shape with their weight.

Thanks

Usually remodel housings attach to the ceiling material. Since you removed that, your choice is new construction housings.

BobsDiy 12-19-2015 11:23 AM

I can't tell if you're serious. Is there some building code requirement that forces me to use new construction housings if I've removed the drywall?

Either way, serious answers would be much appreciated. After install, are new construction housings advantageous in any way other than not weighing on the ceiling material?

MrElectricianTV 12-19-2015 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsDiy (Post 2804818)
I can't tell if you're serious. Is there some building code requirement that forces me to use new construction housings if I've removed the drywall?

Either way, serious answers would be much appreciated. After install, are new construction housings advantageous in any way other than not weighing on the ceiling material?

Sir, you asked a question and I answered it. Remodel housing are made for installation into existing ceilings. They are secured to the ceiling material. If there is no ceiling, you cannot install them because there is nothing to hold them in place.

Perhaps if you were to actually look at the the two types of housings you would see for yourself what you need.

BobsDiy 12-19-2015 11:47 AM

Okay - I see remodel as easier to install. Run wiring, secure with clips, INSTALL DRYWALL, cut perfect hole with hole saw exactly to size where the wiring was run, insert remodel.

No need for further input if you choose to be obtuse MrE. I know you know what I'm saying.

Rephrasing the question, after install, and aside from weight of housing on suspended drywall, any advantages of new construction vs remodel?

rjniles 12-19-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsDiy (Post 2804890)
Okay - I see remodel as easier to install. Run wiring, secure with clips, INSTALL DRYWALL, cut perfect hole with hole saw exactly to size where the wiring was run, insert remodel.

No need for further input if you choose to be obtuse MrE. I know you know what I'm saying.

Rephrasing the question, after install, and aside from weight of housing on suspended drywall, any advantages of new construction vs remodel?


Seems you had made up your mind before you asked. Why ask?

BobsDiy 12-19-2015 12:01 PM

Because I'm new at this stuff, was hoping to get helpful insight that often only comes with experience. Am I being short sighted by using remodel housings due to my inexperience?

Oso954 12-19-2015 01:09 PM

You have the opportunity to hang the new construction cans, wire them, and even test them, before the ceiling goes back up. If you make a miscalculation you can adjust the layout. All before the drywall goes up.

With remodel cans you can end up doing a lot of patching/retexturing/painting if you have to adjust things.

Remodel cans are best when you are putting them into an existing ceiling between floors, or into attics with poor access/no access to the area where you are working.

The new construction cans nailed to the ceing joists are a stronger support method than the clips of a remodel can.

lance80 12-20-2015 01:16 AM

If you like spending twice as much for an inferior install, go with the remodel cans.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobsDiy 12-20-2015 05:26 AM

I thought cost might be some of the reason people always promote new constr - but this 10-pack of 4" cans I bought includes gimble trim and was only about $105. Gets many good reviews too and I've been using them hanging between the joists as temp lighting. Work well this far. My only complaint is that they are flush style so the glare can be bright. But even if I change out the trim for a deeper, style, they're still a bargain. One TBD about this set is their inside diameter is smaller than the 4" Halo "new construction" ICs I bought for upper floor. So I hope I can find deeper trim for this cheaper set if I chose to change later. Their size may be non standard. This only occurred to me just now. I may just use them for wall washes or something - so much cheaper than the Halo NCs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.