Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New circuits/outlets void home warranty??

I have a some questions about installation of new electrical components.

1. If I was to install a total of 18 news outlets and 3 new circuits in the main panel, would I void my home warranty?

2. Would I need to have it inspected by a licensed electrician?

3. Would I have to have it installed by a licensed electrician?

4. Would it affect my homeowners insurance also? (If the new electrical outlets causes a small/huge fire)

**It's a new construction home built in Sept. 2010. I have a 1 year warranty on EVERYTHING for the first year, and a 10 year limited warranty which takes effect December 2011.**

SPConlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

1.) Home Warranty, as in newly built home, and contractor/company has a guarantee to fix anything that they screwed up?

2.) Check with City hall/local licensing authority.

3.) Same as number 2, same question you asked previously, just asked a different way.

4.) Check with your insurance company on their outlook on homeowners doing their own work.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Where are you located? Whether homeowner can do there own electric work depends on your local rules. Likely a permit is needed, again depends on you local rules. As for the warrantly, I doubt if properly added electric circuits would affect the warranty - but you need to read the warranty paperwork and/or contact the warrantly provider to be sure.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #4

I live in Charleston SC. I will be calling my builder and Nationwide to see what is needed to get it done. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Nationwide I will tell you now, will tell you that they do not care, and will tell you with that deer in the headlights remark, or you will leave them stuttering, due to it is not in the script for the person you speak with in the India call center.

When I asked our agent if we get a discount for having AFCI breakers, he basically gave me the Deer in the Headlights look, and stated that State Farm does not discount, nor does others, even though it is adding a layer of protection on the electrical circuits to protect from potential fires caused by failure of the electrical wiring, switches, outlets from animal or wear and tear.

Worst thing about most people doing their own wiring, is that most do not follow the NEC guidelines, and will do wiring methods in unsafe ways. I have seen too many situations that have failed, or potential to cause a fire. For example handling Ship to Shore cables in the Navy that caught fire, due to they should have been tossed, but kept on being used, because they barely passed.

Just check your policy, the warranty, follow the NEC guidelines, and your local AHJ guidelines when working with wiring, also same with NFPA & AHJ guidelines for plumbing, gas, etc. Too many people shortcut or do a job too quickly and later on down the road problems arise, or does not pass, because permits were not pulled if required.

Last edited by gregzoll; 06-13-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added to previous post.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (06-13-2011)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPConlan View Post
I have a some questions about installation of new electrical components.

1. If I was to install a total of 18 news outlets and 3 new circuits in the main panel, would I void my home warranty?

2. Would I need to have it inspected by a licensed electrician?

3. Would I have to have it installed by a licensed electrician?

4. Would it affect my homeowners insurance also? (If the new electrical outlets causes a small/huge fire)

**It's a new construction home built in Sept. 2010. I have a 1 year warranty on EVERYTHING for the first year, and a 10 year limited warranty which takes effect December 2011.**
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPConlan View Post
I live in Charleston SC. I will be calling my builder and Nationwide to see what is needed to get it done. Thanks for the input.

First thing before I can make my comment first Greg's comment is right on the spot and let me explain my experince as you read on.,

For the brand new homes the electricians whom installed the cable / devices etc per the specs or HO requirement and we will honour the warranty for a year { mantory requirement per state codes } as long the HO do not modifed the wiring system during that year the warranty stands., However a gotcha is that if the HO try to modifed or change the wiring set up which it may not meet the code requirement the warranty can be voided.

It did happend to me couple time when someone did make modifed change to the wiring system and I have to turn down the warranty due in the contract when the customer signed and it did stated " any alteration or modifcation to the wiring system will result void the warranty "

So if that Person still want to keep the warranty up they can able get ahold of oringal electrician to come back and do the addtion or modifcation to the circuit and the warranty still stand.

SPConlan.,

Now I will answer from my side but for other electricians they may have diffrent answer so it will varies a bit..

A1., Yes or No depending on what room it have to deal with it. { espcally if you have unfinshed basement gernally are on GFCI but once you get the basement finshed then you will have to change from GFCI to AFCI protection this is allready covered in 2005 and later NEC code editions ( state and local code may hvae slightly diffrent requirement so the inspector will have latest info )

A2., If you going do this yourself and want the electrician to come out to inspect they can do that but expect to pay their time to do the inspection so just be prepare for it.

A3., The electrician can able install it for you if you are not too confortable with wiring for new circuits { the best time if you have unfinshed basement or room or semi finshed room before paint time it will be not a issue but once the paint is done we do go by old work set up so it will varies a bit }

A3 part Duex ., If you want to do the wiring yourself you can do it only if your state do allow it. and you have to get proper permits. { most states will allow if it is a single family home but for condos or apartment best have electrician deal with it }

A4. it may or may not affect the home insurance but once with new circuits are inspected by electrical inspector genrally it is not a issue at all and just be aware they { insurance } may have other requirment so again check with the building / electrical inspectors for latest details.

Hope that will help your question on them. If need more question just holler one of us will answer much as possible.

Merci,
Marc
Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

I agree with Gregs response. The only thing I would add is;

Q1. If you extend off an existing circuit and this causes a problem, don't expect the EC to repair it under the warrenty.

Q3. Insurance companies are becoming increasingly reluctant paying for damages resulting from faulty electric wiring installed without permits and inspections. Insurance companies are a major force in requiring permits and inspections. Your HO rates in your area are partially based on the towns permit and inspection requirements.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #8

@frenchelectrician. Thank you very much for the info. And I will be installing the new outlets in the garage. It is a 25'x25' finished garage with only two existing outlets. One GFCI on the back wall and one on the ceiling which is being used by the garage door opener. I was stunned when i had realized there weren't anym9re. But then again its my tault for not looking when I bought the house.

@Greg. First Id like to thank you for taking the time to explanations everything. However, I'm pretty sure Nationwide won't mind either. My sister-in-law works for Liberty Mutual and she said that HO stupidity is unfortunately covered in their insurance and she has dealt with countless house fires and home floods because people have no clue what they are doing.

I'll be contacting my builder in the next few mins. Then ill call Nationwide.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Just follow a written plan, keep track of what you did, especially if you have to pull a permit to do the work, they will want a scope of work done. Also some jurisdictions charge per outlet for the permit fee.