Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Share |

New cell phone trips GFCI

I had to get a new cell phone a few weeks ago, so I went hog-wild. I got one of these new "Droid 2" phones that does everything, but wipe it. I bought the "cradle" that goes in the house for it which will charge it and when put in the cradle it displays the time and temp like some clocks, really cool. I finally put this thing into use two night ago and last night when I put the phone in, it tripped the dedicated GFCI duplex outlet in the bath. Nothing else plugged into this either. I waited for at least 15 minutes, placed the phone back into the cradles and "pop" out again. I took the phone and cradle to the local cell phone place and they placed it into the cradle there. You guessed it, it didn't act up. Of course I asked them if this was a dedicated GFCI circuit and they told me "I don't know". They then recommended that I change the outlet to a regular outlet, just maybe 16" from the sink, NOT. Any suggestions? David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #2

Did you try plugging it in to other GFCI outlets (kitchen, basement, outside)? Does it trip those? If it does I would go back to the store and have them plug it into the outlet in the rest room and if it trips that demand a new unit. If it doesn't trip other GFCI outlets then maybe the problem is with the bathroom outlet.

SleepyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Was that device have three pong plug or two pong plug ? If it was three pong verison try that in diffrent room like kitchen or other room and see if that trip if not then maybe your RCD { GFCI } is going bad sometime they just trip out early for no reason.

If that the case you can get new RCD for about 15 or so.

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Household Handyman

Half a step ahead of you guys. I plugged in into the other baths' GFCI yesterday with no problem for about an hour. Then last night I used the one which had tripped in my bath, err, ahh, with no problem. The plug for this cradles has only two prongs but one is larger than the other for polarization. Maybe just a bad night or something the other night. I'll continue to use it and see what happens. Good idea on them plugging it into their restroom area. Thanks for the replies. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Just call me Andrew

The GFCI was probably just tired. Maybe it had a long day?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote