Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #1

Share |

New Ceiling Fan Wiring Please help

I Bought a house with no prior ceiling fan or hole i made a whole installed a ceiling fan box and now i need to get the wiring done i have an electrical outlet that was controlled by the light switch i replace the receptacle with a new one and the light switch but the switch dosent control the receptacle outlet no more it was the top outlet it controlled. and in the pictures i fished the electrical romex wire to the outlet i want to get it all wired up its a cheap ceiling fan with one black one white a ground and a blue can you tell me what i have to do to connect the fan to the receptacle and make the receptacle continuous and the fan be controlled by the switch?
Attached Thumbnails
New Ceiling Fan Wiring Please help-img00012-20100723-1000.jpg   New Ceiling Fan Wiring Please help-img00013-20100723-1000.jpg   New Ceiling Fan Wiring Please help-img00014-20100723-1000.jpg  
Akkasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #2

Couple questions. Where is the power coming from (ie the cable that goes back to your breaker panel). Does it go to the switch first or the outlet? Is that switch a three way (two switches on opposite sides of room controlled the outlet)?
paulyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Fox
Rough around the edges...

I just did this recently, but don't get caught with the same kind of wiring issue I ran into. Lemme fish up that post
*searches*

Here we go:
*sigh* Help...I'm out of my depth here.

I ran into an issue that seems very similar to your own. First you need to figure out if the hot line goes first to your outlet, or your switch. From there you can move forward. If it was like mine, they went to the outlet first, ran power from the outlet to the switch via black, then back to the top outlet via red. (I believe I see the red wire going to the top outlet in the picture)

Now, I ran my wiring from the fan to the switch, so it'll be a little different. If it is indeed run as I think, that red wire hooked up to the outlet will need to run to whichever line you ran to the motor and light (black and blue wires) on the fan. (If it has a light) Whites go to whites.

The receptacle has the outlets separated, so you either need to run another black wire from the hot line coming into the outlet box to the other screw on the outlet (the one the red one was on) to make it hot, or just replace the receptacle with one that hasn't been split. (Still has the copper connector between the screws so you only need one wire for both) This is all assuming you no longer want the top outlet switched. If you just leave the red wire where it is from the switch, you'll have the switch control both the fan and the top outlet. (Fan will still have to be joined with this red wire somehow)

Be aware I am not a licensed electrician and wait to have someone confirm anything I say before going about and doing it.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote