New Cabin Outlets - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new cabin outlets

OK here is the deal. I have a cabin that I bought used last year. This past hunting season everything preformed well, except that the breakers (two 20a) would flip if we had to much plugged in. I was there this past weekend getting ready for turkey season and found the breakers flipped when i got there. I would flip the breaker to off, then try turning them back on. When i flipped them back to on there was a small pop, and a spark at the breaker box. I have some minor knowledge of elec. so i cut off the main and went through the house and replaced all of the outlets on this circuit. Before I left I could turn the breakers on, and they would stay on, but there was zero power to the outlets. When I pulled the breakers back out of the panel it looks like there are scorch marks where the break plugs in, could this have something to do with not getting power?

Advertisement

junebugpoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

new cabin outlets

There is a bad wire connection somewhere in the circuit that was overheating, which would trip the circuit breaker. The overuse most likely caused this. The overheated stressed out wire failed at its weakest point. Call the electrician.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #3

new cabin outlets

That would be my main probelm. Where this cabin is located, and the time I am able to be there do not fit well to have an electrician on hand. So,...If I had a local electrician build me a bank of say 6 outlets or so, I could have them set it up for 30a breaker, and components, run the wires, and hook it into the main next time I am there? does that make sense, and would that be possible? I would just have the outlets on the ouside of the wall, and completely bypass the outlets-circuit already in place.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
the Musigician

new cabin outlets

wow..... just...... wow

"Danger Will Robinson!" (robot arms flailing)

with enough support from the folks here, you can do it right and safely if you have a bit of time and patience. what you propose is
unconventional to say the least. unsafe to say the rest....

DM
DM
Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

new cabin outlets

You would be safer to get an extension cord that has multiple plugs on it and use on the outlets that still work. Turn off the breaker and take out all the outlets. See if any of the back-stabbed outlets have loose or burned wires. Get an electrical tester that also has continuity testing. Now you can start to check each wire starting at the panel by connecting the white to the hot at the panel from the bad circuit. If you have continuity to the first outlet, you know that these two wires are not burned open. Disconnect the hot and white wire. Now check ground to hot and white to hot for continuity at the outlet. None... good... connect pairs on this outlet to and test at the next one. repeat process until you find the bad wire. At least then you can disconnect at the source outlet and turn the breaker back on to feed the first good ones.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
the Musigician

new cabin outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
You would be safer to get an extension cord that has multiple plugs on it and use on the outlets that still work.
agreed.... especially if you do not have the expertise to tackle it step by step to fix it correctly as bob explains above.

DM
Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #7

new cabin outlets

Thanks to all for the help thus far.

Please excuse my ignorance but why would foregoing the faulty wiring for good stuff be a bad idea? the last thing I want is something unsafe, and I had figured this would be the best way to ensure everything stayed safe. Since we use a lot of power on this one would it not be a good idea to upgrade everything so that i do not run into the same problem in the future? Also please understand I know this will not look good, which is fine, as it is only hunting camp
Old 03-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
the Musigician

new cabin outlets

no problem, it's probably MY ignorance... post 3 made no sense to me and sounded unsafe without further explanation.

DM
Old 03-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #9

new cabin outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebugpoc View Post
I could have them set it up for 30a breaker, and components
If this bank of outlets is going to be used as a general circuit, then a 20 amp breaker will probably be enough. The extension cord idea sounds a lot easier, just make sure you are safe with the loads applied.
finnimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

new cabin outlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebugpoc View Post
If I had a local electrician build me a bank of say 6 outlets or so, I could have them set it up for 30a breaker, and components, run the wires, and hook it into the main next time I am there? does that make sense, and would that be possible? I would just have the outlets on the ouside of the wall, and completely bypass the outlets-circuit already in place.
This is NOT ok and it would definitely violate code and safety requirements! First of all, for a 30 amp circuit you'd need 10 gauge wire and most every outlet I have seen only really supports 14-12 gauge wire. Secondly, no duplex or single gang 15 or 20 amp straight blade outlet can be installed on a circuit rated for more than 20 amps.

I think you should do a little troubleshooting first to try and fix this problem you are having. There are plemty of knowledgeable people here willing to provide some help along the way.

Advertisement

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote