New Business- HELP! Industrial Equipment And Electrical Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

New Business- HELP! Industrial Equipment and Electrical question

Hi,

I have some machinery coming to me that will be impossible to make work unless I get an electrician involved. The first is a bag filling machine. It comes with the plug attached.
The manufacturer says that is the standard plug for that machine. I don't know what the equivalent type of NEMA plug would be advisable for the voltage, as follows: Voltage AC 380V 50/60HZ
I can save the misery of getting an electricial engineer to rewire the machine if I can get the manufacturer the appropriate type of plug for the US. I don't know much about electrical installation or what industrial machinery outlets look like. However I have to learn quickly because I also have a mixer with the same voltage that is being made for my new business.
Does anyone here have any suggestions for the correct type of plug or what I should have an electrician do if this machine comes with the plug in the picture.

I will be glad for any suggestions. In the end I believe I will definitely need an electrician to install said machinery but it will be cheaper to install a machine that comes with some sort of US plug.

Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
New Business- HELP! Industrial Equipment and Electrical question-220v-3phase-50hz-standard-plug-.jpg  

Advertisement

jcintron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

What voltage do you have available in your building? I doubt you have that available in most places. Are you from the US?

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

Please be patient---we have some very knowledgeable electricians here that are familiar with European wiring--
jcintron (04-17-2013), PaliBob (10-09-2014)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #4

Yes! I am from the US in NY and planning to lease an industrial space rated M-1 and that has sufficient amps to power any equipment I buy. No space has listed a voltage in regards to power supply. They mostly state "high amps" or "high power" in the manufacturing zones on the real estate listing.
I haven't spent the money to lease a place yet because the machines are still being fabricated.
Thus, I plan to make the space work for me.

A little detail about me. I am a new business who makes pancake and waffle mix. I bought the machines that will allow me to mix flour products and then package the waffle/pancake mix into bags to sell to diners/restaurants. The machine orders have been placed and paid for but if there is a way to save myself from disaster with the plugs I am willing to get any help or advise.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,822

The machinery should have been made for the voltage that is supplied to the building. You also want to make sure the machinery is for 60 Hz.

You may need to have transformers installed to power your new equipment.
HIVOLT (04-17-2013), jcintron (04-17-2013), Philly Master (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,474

The plugs are the least of your worries.

You need to find out exactly what the "high amps" or "High power" mean for the building you intend to occupy. The "fix" for the machines will differ depending on the answer.

The right plug will depend on the "fix".
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 302

I don't know how that's going to work for you. I've only seen 380v in either single or 3 phase at at 50Hz. They are all in other countries. I don't think you are going to be able to use that equipment here. I thought everything here runs at 60Hz, but I'm no expert.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taylorjm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

Ok. I haven't decided on a warehouse. Is there anything I can do now besides request the manufacturers ensure 60hz is used regardless of the plug?

I went to the NEMA plug styles and this weird one is listed under 120/208V NEMA 18-15P. I don't understand this but with all the plugs listed isn't there something else that will work?

I haven't ever seen industrial equipment with this sort of plug and the manufacturer said the engineer could essentially cater to my needs.

I just have to know what I want. It's impossible to know what I want when I do not have any educational background with electricity.

What would you suggest ?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

You seem to be hung up on the cord end. Don't be. You have bigger problems than a cord end. Supply voltage in the US does not accommodate the machine's required voltage. You will have to get a, or multiple, transformers. The bigger issue is the frequency. The US uses 60Hz and your equipment uses 50Hz. What I am utterly shocked at, is the fact you are having expensive pieces of machinery custom built and not you, or the manufacturer took this into consideration.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
jcintron (04-17-2013), mpoulton (04-17-2013), PaliBob (10-09-2014)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Search google.com for the following...

electrical frequency converter 60 50
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy_Bob For This Useful Post:
jcintron (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #11

K-buz, this is totally on me. The manufacturer is foreign. My ignorance is the one thing that I am trying to remedy before the machines are fabricated. I just finished paying for the builds.
Unfortunately, I panicked only now that the manufacturer sent this plug and said "this is what comes standard. Is that good for you?"
I have the next few hours to figure it out. Otherwise I will get at least one of my two machines with a hell of a nightmare attached.

I am lucky enough to have found out that this is not right. Knowing that I have limited time to tweak it I have no choice but to find out what might work. The manufacturer is happy to work with me. Depending on the wiring, I will have a motor that could work harder but will be set to something that is not as powerful. I am happy to have the machine work properly even if it fills less bags per minute. I am a small business and will grow eventually but there are not take-backs now.
Hopefully I am not totally screwed.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

The manufacturer knows where you are located correct? Is this a custom machine? They should have options for machines in various countries (electrical systems).

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 302

Probably the most common power source for equipment is 220v, single-phase, 60Hz. You can get that just about anywhere. If they can't do that, then you'll have to see what you can have run to your building. Maybe 3 phase, maybe 440v, who knows. Depending where your building is, and where the nearest transformer is. You mentioned that your building has enough amps to run any equipment you would need, but amps isn't the only thing you need to check. It all depends where the nearest transformer is, then you will have to pay to run a new line from that transformer to your building, and trust me, that's not cheap! Find out what your options are for running the equipment.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taylorjm For This Useful Post:
jcintron (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #14

Thanks Taylorjm for that information. I will need to find a place that works for the machines and that won't be easy. I'm grateful for the comments and opinions because I really didn't have any idea what I got into.
It's a headache to say the least but with some knowledge from electricians like you I can at least see what remedies I have for the money I have already spent.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,210

The cord end is not an issue. You need equipment built for the available voltages, phases, and frequencies available in the US.

Advertisement

brric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric code , electrical engineer , electrical installation , electrician