Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new breakers in conduit

i have some conduit ran in the garage with a j box already mounted previous owner had this done..the conduit is ran to my breaker box... i wanna add some new breakers to feed some plugs..romex cannot be used in conduit correct? should i just use MC to run in the conduit and when i get to the attic put a j box there and run with romex for the rest of the circuit? 15amps
thanks in advanced

Pledgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Rewards Points: 75

new breakers in conduit

What type of walls do you have? Block or wood frame? And is this commercial or residential, I am guessing residential, reason I am asking, why the need for conduit? If your dealing with wood frame, drill the holes and run the wire, to me would be a whole lot easier....

Which way does the conduit run from the panel? Does it run along the walls, go straight up the wall? Am I correct in thinking you want to install receptacles in your attic? The less junctions you have the better off you are - meaning less things to go wrong, so if you can run from the panel direct to your first outlet, thats what I would do.

Last edited by fltdek; 11-02-2009 at 04:36 PM.
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

new breakers in conduit

its woodframe but where the breaker box is .its a pain to drill a hole it on the edge near the eve..almost no space to get back there..a box is already in place with metal coating from one j box to panel..which is located above the box 8 inches or so..

second it runs down the wall..then across and ten back up....
Pledgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

new breakers in conduit

You can run romex in conduit as long as it is big enough
Local codes can vary
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Rewards Points: 75

new breakers in conduit

As Scuba_Dave mentioned, you can run regular electrical wiring (Romex) in conduit as long as the diameter of the conduit will easily accomodate the wire. You may need a fish tape to pull the wire up thru, and if drilling a hole near the eve or top plate, then sounds like junctioning it there may be your simple soulution. MC cable would be like overkill, where as the conduit is a protective channel, MC cable is just the same, only flexible.
fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote