Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 506
Question

new basement room circuit

I'm in the middle of basement conscrution, the basement has 5 circuits already two for outlets three for lights (unfinished area has lights but no outlets)

my question is this... I am building a playroom, a hallway, and a pantry going by their uses, can all those lights be on one circuit? or should it be divided somehow?

Can the rooms all share one outlet circuit? the pantry might have one or two outlets in it at most as its not a used room except for storage, the hall will have 3 outlets I believe, and the play room will have 7 outlets

I am going to put all circuits on 20 Amp AFCI breakers

Details of rooms

Play room:

12 gauge wiring - 2+G wire
7 two receptical outlets (15 amp outlets)
max of 8 6" can Recessed lighting locations
room size ~15 x 12
1 light switch

Hallway:
12 gauge wiring - 2+G wire
Max 3 outlets with two recepticals on each (15 amp outlets)
max of 3 6" can recessed lighting locations
room size (4ft x 13 ft)
1 light switch

Pantry:
12 gauge - 2+G WIRE
Max 2 outlet locations - two receptical (15 amp outlets)
max of 6 6" can recessed lighting locations
room size (8x11ft)
1 light switch

suggestions on how to wire this? can I share two circuits because of that the room usage is / size or does each room even require a circuit for light and outlets?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

What wattage lamps (bulbs) will you be putting in? Assuming 100 watt , you will be using 1700 watts across all lights (maximum). That is just over 14 amps. A 20A breaker should cover this fine, but keep in mind 12awg wire is much harder to pull and work with than 14awg.

As far as outlets, it's usually better to overshoot how much you will be putting on it, since it is a fixed load like lights. It sounds to me like one 20A circuit would be sufficient, but I'd be tempted to put in circuits. Is your breaker panel nearby? If so, not much extra work to split the outlets to different circuits. You can probably get a tandem breaker (2-in-one) if your panel is full (and if it is listed for use with tandems).

Will you be plugging in heaters and/or an A/C?

What about smoke detectors?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
What wattage lamps (bulbs) will you be putting in? Assuming 100 watt , you will be using 1700 watts across all lights (maximum). That is just over 14 amps. A 20A breaker should cover this fine, but keep in mind 12awg wire is much harder to pull and work with than 14awg.

As far as outlets, it's usually better to overshoot how much you will be putting on it, since it is a fixed load like lights. It sounds to me like one 20A circuit would be sufficient, but I'd be tempted to put in circuits. Is your breaker panel nearby? If so, not much extra work to split the outlets to different circuits. You can probably get a tandem breaker (2-in-one) if your panel is full (and if it is listed for use with tandems).

Will you be plugging in heaters and/or an A/C?

What about smoke detectors?

well, I'm putting in all LED lighting, so it wont be anywhere near 100 watts per light, but since the recessed can take up to that, better to be safe...

no heaters or a/c its all ran off the furance, no supplemental heat (its well insulated)

smoke detectors are all hardwired, each living space has one, and its ran off its own dedicated 15 amp circuit with 14 gauge 3+G wire so thats taken care of also...

and the 12 Gauge wire is already roughed in, execpt for the final runs back to the panel, thats where I was stuck contempated on how to hook it up... as there isn't many locations left on the panel... the previous home owner filled it up with new circuits for the basement... so I have 3 1/2" slots left (enough for 1 AFCI circuit basically) but I am removing two double pole supplemental electic heat circuits (the basement previously wasnt insulated) so I can fit in about 3 AFCI circuits after that is done

the panel is only 5 ft from the farthest room being finished... so its not that far from the new rooms
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,166

Your lighting circuit will be determined by the number of watts each fixture uses. For example, 10 recessed using 150 watt bulbs will be 1500 watts, but if the fixtures can only accept a 60 watt bulb you would only be at 600 watts. A 15 amp circuit can carry 1800 watts non-continous or 1440 continous. Continous is considered 3 hrs or more.

Receptacle loads are more difficult since the loading is more transient, ie a 12 amp vacuum may overload the circuit temporarily with the other stuff on, but in everyday usage the circuit is fine.

I would probably do the hallway and pantry as one circuit. Possibly two receptacle circuits for the playroom with one lighting circuit.

Are you planning on space heaters being used?
Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Your lighting circuit will be determined by the number of watts each fixture uses. For example, 10 recessed using 150 watt bulbs will be 1500 watts, but if the fixtures can only accept a 60 watt bulb you would only be at 600 watts. A 15 amp circuit can carry 1800 watts non-continous or 1440 continous. Continous is considered 3 hrs or more.

Receptacle loads are more difficult since the loading is more transient, ie a 12 amp vacuum may overload the circuit temporarily with the other stuff on, but in everyday usage the circuit is fine.

I would probably do the hallway and pantry as one circuit. Possibly two receptacle circuits for the playroom with one lighting circuit.

Are you planning on space heaters being used?
nope, no supplemental heating
Old 09-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Just call me Andrew

If you are really short on space, consider adding a subpanel right next to your old panel.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
If you are really short on space, consider adding a subpanel right next to your old panel.

how much would adding one of those run me cost wise? I have a good amount of space to work with here
Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Just call me Andrew

They sell kits, that come with a few breakers. It's really not that expensive. I've never done one myself so I couldn't give you an accurate estimate. It's quite simple to do, though.

What manufacturer is your main panel? 100A service? 200?

Last edited by secutanudu; 09-03-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
They sell kits, that come with a few breakers. It's really not that expensive. I've never done one myself so I couldn't give you an accurate estimate. It's quite simple to do, though.

What manufacturer is your main panel? 100A service? 200?

It's a GE Gold (power mark?) Mark Load Center I think? I know its a GE panel for sure, just cant remember the model off the top of my head and 200 Amp
Old 09-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Just call me Andrew

I don't know much about different panel manufacturers, but here's an example...$40 and comes with three 20A breakers.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053

It's a small GE main lug panel. You'd need to also buy a double-pole breaker and some wire to feed from your main panel. The wire cost is minimal if your panels are adjacent to each other.