Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Share |

New Air Conditioner trips breaker

I am replacing an old air conditioner unit that had a NEMA 10-30P 30 Amp 250 volt receptacle with one that requires a LCDI NEMA 6-15P receptacle. The air conditioner is listed as 15 Amp 230 volt. The new 20 Amp volt receptacle has two brass screws and a ground. The old receptacle was attached to black, white and red #10 wires that run back to a 30 amp breaker in the box. The voltage testor lit up at 110 with the red and black and 110 with the red and white. It lit up at 220 with the black and white so I attached the black and white to the brass terminals, capped the red and attached the ground terminal to the box. The air conditioner unit fan powers up and runs strong initially. However, after three minutes, the breaker trips when the condensor kicks on. Any possible solutions?

Cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cano View Post
However, after three minutes, the breaker trips when the condensor kicks on. Any possible solutions?
Assuming a good breaker, taking 3 minutes to trip means a very mild overload.
Maybe a bad connection is causing low voltage to the compressor and so it pulls more current than normal.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

If the old wires were also 240v, and all being used, why not just connect it back the way it was?

What wires were on the old breaker? You DID replace the breaker with a 20A, right?

Also, is there a valid proper ground in the box that you connected the receptacle to? If so how did you check?
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #4

If the old wires were also 240v, and all being used, why not just connect it back the way it was?

New air conditioner required new receptacle. Old receptacle obsolete for new units.

What wires were on the old breaker?

Did not check, will do so.

You DID replace the breaker with a 20A, right?

No I did not replace the 30 amp double breaker.

Also, is there a valid proper ground in the box that you connected the receptacle to? If so how did you check?

Poor assumption on my part. Will have to check that box is properly grounded.
Cano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
I=E/R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cano View Post
I am replacing an old air conditioner unit that had a NEMA 10-30P 30 Amp 250 volt receptacle with one that requires a LCDI NEMA 6-15P receptacle. The air conditioner is listed as 15 Amp 230 volt. The new 20 Amp volt receptacle has two brass screws and a ground. The old receptacle was attached to black, white and red #10 wires that run back to a 30 amp breaker in the box. The voltage testor lit up at 110 with the red and black and 110 with the red and white. It lit up at 220 with the black and white so I attached the black and white to the brass terminals, capped the red and attached the ground terminal to the box. The air conditioner unit fan powers up and runs strong initially. However, after three minutes, the breaker trips when the condensor kicks on. Any possible solutions?
Your NEMA 10-30 is a 120/240 receptacle. The White wire should have been connected to the 90 deg terminal. The red and black should have been connected to the to straight pins. Since your voltage reading don't make sense, you need to look at the breaker and see if there is a black and red wire connected to the breaker and the the white wire to the neutral bar.
Your new plug is a 6-15 which is straight 240. The red and black wires should be on the two hot terminals and the ground, you do have a ground wire in the box, should be connected to the U terminal. The white capped.
Review your wiring and let us know....
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote