DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Addition - Thinking through electrical

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  stubits 
#1 ·
I am in the planning stages of an addition and am considering electrical needs. I am sure our architect will get to it at some point, but I want to make sure there's sufficient room in the panel.

The addition is small, just 10'x5' on three different floors. On two of the floors the addition will function as a mudroom and on the other more of a reading nook/closet. On each floor, one of the 10' walls is filled with floor to ceiling cabinets. How many outlets am I going to need on each floor? Can I get by with just 1 per floor? I think so, but am not sure.

Additionally, we will add 3 flushmount lights (one on each floor), three exterior lights and 2 exterior outlets (one will power a 300 watt transformer).

So,I guess the question is, how many circuits would you suggest? Can I get by with 1 20 amp circuit, or is it just way too much?

On a related question, after the addition we will be adding a bathroom and renovating another (they will share one common wall). They are relatively small bathrooms, less than 50 sq. ft. each. We will be adding electric radiant in floor heat to both bathrooms. As the radiant heat is not placed under the tub/shower, vanity or toilet, the combined area for radiant heat between both bathrooms is less than 50 sq. ft. The instructions for the product call for a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The instructions also indicate that 150 sq. ft = 15 amps. So, would it be problematic to have the radiant heat for both bathrooms on 1 circuit? Both bathrooms together would use less than 5 amps.

Thanks for any insight!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. Yes, we have an architect, but she says it will be a while before we get to the electrical. I'm really just trying to see, more or less, what's coming down the road. As such, I'd appreciate any additional input.

I am doing the addition myself and and at this point anticipate doing the electrical as well.

In that this is a DIY forum, I was hopeful I could get some help. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

#5 ·
I am in the planning stages of an addition and am considering electrical needs. I am sure our architect will get to it at some point, but I want to make sure there's sufficient room in the panel.

The addition is small, just 10'x5' on three different floors.
3x50 = 150 sq. ft. x 3 va/sq. ft. = 450 va = ~4A @ 120v.
How many outlets am I going to need on each floor?

Probably at least 4 per room.

Can I get by with just 1 per floor?
You'll regret it. More bucks up front = less aggravation downstream.

Additionally, we will add 3 flushmount lights (one on each floor), three exterior lights and 2 exterior outlets (one will power a 300 watt transformer).
6x60w + 15A = 360w@120v = 3A + 15A = 18A.

So,I guess the question is, how many circuits would you suggest? Can I get by with 1 20 amp circuit, or is it just way too much?

On a related question, after the addition we will be adding a bathroom and renovating another (they will share one common wall). They are relatively small bathrooms, less than 50 sq. ft. each. We will be adding electric radiant in floor heat to both bathrooms. As the radiant heat is not placed under the tub/shower, vanity or toilet, the combined area for radiant heat between both bathrooms is less than 50 sq. ft. The instructions for the product call for a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The instructions also indicate that 150 sq. ft = 15 amps. So, would it be problematic to have the radiant heat for both bathrooms on 1 circuit? Both bathrooms together would use less than 5 amps.

Thanks for any insight!
What you need at a minimum to work, and what is code, can be two very different things, for reasons of safety, convenience, and many other reasons.

To cushion the sticker shock for your addition, get a half dozen books out of your local library on Residential Wiring. After spending 8 tedious hours wading through these books you will know way more about this.

#6 ·
Think about what you ever might possibly use electrical in those rooms. In my experience there is NEVER enough outlets in certain spots!

Might you want a window air conditioner? Electric heater?

Might you want to place a fan in a window?

Maybe convert a room into an office? Phones, computer, 4-plex outlets for all that computer stuff?

Etc.

Then outlet for vacuuming. Will the new outlets be filled with plugs and there will not be a spare outlet for a vacuum.

Maybe outlet by door just for vacuum?

Basically walk through your house and think about where you wish you had more outlets and why.

Or see what all is blocking outlets and that maybe an outlet for a vacuum would be a good idea near a door.

Or look at areas where all the plugs are used up. No spare plugs and you wish there 4 outlets there instead of 2.

And would you want phones, cable TV, computer, etc.?

Ceiling lights?

Lights in closet which automatically come on when you open the door?

#7 ·
As far as how many outlets (for a non-kitchen or non-bathroom), code basically states that there needs to be an outlet at least every 12 feet, horizontally, along uninterrupted wall surface. The theory is that if you put something along your wall and want to plug it in (such as a lamp), it shouldn't ever be more than 6' away from the nearest outlet in either direction. Doorways and closet doors; an outlet needs to be no more than 6' away from door openings.

And it sounds like the addition will add a new room to each floor (instead of just bumping out square footage of existing rooms). So each new room needs to have a switch by the door that controls either an overhead junction box/light, or a receptacle that will have a lighting fixture plugged into it.

As far as how many circuits, and what amperage, that all depends on what you plan on using in those rooms. If you're doing a window A/C in each room, you should most likely do a dedicated 20A circuit for each room. Basically, figure out the wattage of everything that will be in each room, and go from there, knowing that a 15A circuit provides about 1,800 watts and a 20A circuit provides 2,400 watts.

#8 ·
Billy Bob and Adpanko, thanks so much for the advice. On two of the levels, the addition will be a mudroom with a full wall of storage. On the third level, the addition will serve as an annex for the bedroom and will house a full wall of storage as well as a window seat. We have central AC and heat, so no need for space heater or window AC. The earlier suggestion of 4 outlets per room seemed absurd. Aside from a vaccum, there is really no need for outlets in these spaces at all.

#10 ·

Thanks for any insight!
Regarding future new bath and remodel of existing:

You will need a dedicated 20a ckt. for the new bath. It can service the GFCI, lights and fan but may not leave the bath to feed any other outlets. Or, you can use a dedicated 20a ckt to feed receptacles in both baths, but that circuit may not feed any other outlets (lights, fan, etc.). So at least 2 ckts for both baths (lights/fans/receptacles).

As an electrician, we wire devices (such as floor heat) to the manufacturer's specifications. So if it call for a dedicated circuit for each bath, that's what we'll do. The floor heat will need to be GFCI protected. Sometimes the thermostats have integral GFCI protections for the mats.

So, you are looking at 4 circuits for both baths. You should already have one present for the exisiting bath.

Do all your research for future circuitry while your walls are open. Especially if you need to circuits from the panel to the second floor.

#11 ·
Yoyizit- As I explained in a previous post, the additions are less rooms and more closets/pantries. How many outlets do you have in your closets? I understand the desire to have the max number of outlets, but frankly between doors and cabinets, I don't have room for 4 outlets in each of these spaces.

Jupe Blue- Thanks for your insight here. I am aware that each bath needs a dedicated 20 amp circuit. I also understand why pros like yourself install things per the manufacturer's instructions... liability. Can you give me any insight into why each mat would require its own circuit, aside from the manufacturer's instructions? I am just looking to understand the how and why.

Thanks!

#14 ·
Agreed, 1 outlet per wall plus every 12' is REQUIRED by code, plus what 220/221 said
You want to fail the inspection? :no:
Why come on here & ask for help & then say you won't take the advice?
It's not advice, it's what's required
Just like the bathrooms need GFCI, bedrooms need AFCI
In some cases its not what you may use the house for, but a future owner

#17 ·
I was looking for a code answer. If you look back Yoyizit's answer was based on some sq ft calculation, not code. He made no reference to distances or walls or doors. It was more of a "this is how I do it, so this is how it has to be done" response, rather than a "this is the code" response. I truly appreciate the help I receive here on the forum, but I think if you'll review the exchange you'll see Yoyizit was more intent on making a point than sharing information.

I really do appreciate the code reference, but would also appreciate some help understanding it.

For example, suppose you have a 5 ft wall and the wall has a 3 ft door in it, does the wall count as a 5 ft wall or a 2 ft wall?

Do closets, pantries, foyers follow the same code? For example, would a 4x4 closet really have 4 outlets?

How do you handle wall to wall and floor to ceiling built-ins? I see many in new homes, but how does code address these?

Again, many thanks. Apologies for this thread taking the detour that it did.

#18 ·
Along a wall, regardless of doors & windows there must be an outlet every 12'. Then an outlet is also required within 6' of a door (may be more to it then this)

I have a walk in closet ~9x12, there is an outlet on every wall
Someone else could convert it to a study or some other use

I'm not sure on smaller closets & built-ins
Possible outlets are required along the baseboard?
Maybe someone who knows more about smaller spaces can give you some input

My bathroom is small, there are only 2 outlets on either side of the sink. Nothing on the very short outside wall (toilet is there too). Then the tub is in an alcove, nothing on the short wall after that. The 4th wall is essentially the door to the bathroom.

#20 · (Edited)
Dave- Thanks so much. I wonder what the definition of habitable room is and how that applies here.

The example you gave of your bathroom is a good one, I just feel like most of the bathrooms I see (including new construction), don't have 1 outlet per wall. Think for example of a powder room.

All three of these spaces will be set up pretty similarly. Again, they are approximately 5x10. There is a door (or a window in one instance) on BOTH of the 5 ft walls and then 15"-20" deep cabinets running the full length of on of the 10 ft walls on all levels. I am not sure how to classify the space, a closet, a hallway, a pantry, an entryway/foyer, but these are the only real functions of the spaces based on located, size and shape. Does the distinction matter? Are they considered habitable space? Are there special rules for closets and the like?

Thanks!

#22 ·
Yoyizit- I'm not on you, sorry if that's how it seems. I was just explaining to folks that I was looking for a code minimum, not best practice and that I was committed to following codes. Sorry if I have offended.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this site? http://www.ezdiyelectricity.com/?p=95

They seem to suggest that doorways do not count as wall space. How does this apply to cabinetry?

Thanks!

#23 ·
Yoyizit- I'm not on you, sorry if that's how it seems. I was just explaining to folks that I was looking for a code minimum, not best practice and that I was committed to following codes. Sorry if I have offended.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this site? http://www.ezdiyelectricity.com/?p=95

They seem to suggest that doorways do not count as wall space. How does this apply to cabinetry?

Thanks!
Here's how we lay out plugs in a new construction.
Starting at the door to the room:
Locate the first receptacle within 6 feet of the door.
Locate the next receptacle within 12 feet of the first.

If the wall is interrupted by another door (closet, entry to a bathroom) locate the second receptacle within 6 feet of the other side of the entry. Then locate additional receptacles within 12 feet.

If there is a short wall space between door/entrances of 2 feet or more, add a receptacle there. Try not to place receptacles behind the door swing unless required by the 6/12 foot rule.

If your cabinetry is a true built in you probably can get away with no receptacles on that wall. That's up to your inspector. You might consider wiring a receptacle inside the cabinets so you can plug in and hide rechargeable items.

I agree that you should consider adding more receptacles than code requires. When the walls are open is the time to project future needs. It will always cost you more in time and headaches to try to add them after the fact.

Also, in response to your question:

"Jupe Blue- Thanks for your insight here. I am aware that each bath needs a dedicated 20 amp circuit. I also understand why pros like yourself install things per the manufacturer's instructions... liability. Can you give me any insight into why each mat would require its own circuit, aside from the manufacturer's instructions? I am just looking to understand the how and why."

That's really a question for the manufacturer technical support line. They may actually have a real reason for the over sizing of the circuit. I don't have an answer to why they require it.

#24 ·
Excellent. I think I understand how/ where to locate them now. Locating an outlet in a cabinet is still sufficient for code purposes? Also, are floor mounted outlets ok?

So, how many circuits would you all suggest aand how many are required by code? Overall, there will be between 6 and 9 interior outlets, 2 exterior outlets(with one 300-600 watt transformer), 3 standard exterior light fixtures (100 watts per), and 3 flushmount lights (120 per). Not including the interior outlets, that is 1260 watts combined. I know a 20 amp circuit can handle between 2000 and 2400 watts, so even if everything was running at once I'd still have between 740 watts and 1140 remaining.

So, what does code say about this, can it all be on one circuit? What do you suggest? When planning circuits it is easy to account for appliances and lighting, but how do you handle non specific general use outlets?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.