Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Addition-Service upgrade

I just discovered this message board the other day and I am very impressed with the feedback from you all. Now time for my own situation.

I have a residential addition. Approximately 2000 sf, basically built over and out from the origonal structure. The old structure is served by a 100 A panel, and all old wiring has been replaced with conduit and new wire.

The addition will get its own new 200 A panel, and the old 100 A will become a sub panel. The old areas of the house on the panel will serve only as a dining room, small office and bath, low load usage.

I am not skilled with electric, but want to save where I can naturally so here are my questions.

Once determining my load requirements for dedicated circuits, and I locate and mount my new panel...

1. Do I use one nockout in the panel as a main run back to the circuit feeding that line? I belive the term "home run" is what I am thinking of.

2. I understand how to determine dedicated circuits, but for continuous runs of outlets for example, I will continue conduit from one box to the next, when wiring goes in, does it just get "daisy chained" together?

3. for 3 way switch situations, does only the feed return to the panel, or do I need to return conduit from both ends?

I think these serve as my major first questions. I do not plan on doing any of the wiring or final connection myself, but I would like to get alot of the grunt work out of the way if possible.

Thank you in advance

CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

Hey there

1.Not sure by what you mean by using one knockout, you will either run conduit into the main panel or run one cable from the main panel to the subpanel.

2.At your fist box pull wire from the panel and leave enough extra to go to the plug from your second box pull wire to the first and leave enough to go to the plug. then you can either put all 4 wires on the plug or make pigtails in the box.

3.Nothing should be returning to the panel, your panel feeds your circuits. The easies way to do a plug is by takeing 2 wire to the first switch(white-neutral black is your common. 3 wire from the first switch to the second switch(white neutral, black and red are travelers) from the the second switch 2 wire to your first light(white is neutral, black is hot.)

Hop this helps

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Agent 000

Rewards Points: 250

Do you have an electrician friend or perhaps someone else that is knowledgeable of electrical installation best practices and code requirements? I'm 99.9% sure you have to have a building permit for your addition and you'll have to have an electrical permit as well. Yes, you can perform the majority of grunt work but it wouldn't hurt having a little "on the job" training to get it done right the first time. I'm sure you don't want to perform a lot of rework because something was amiss from the inspectors point of view. It's the small stuff that could affect the outcome; where the wire is stapled, distance between outlet boxes, etc. I'm just saying this based on the types of questions that you're asking. A small investment (dinner, a few beers, a few bucks, whatever) to your ally would go a long way.

Just my $0.02
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote