Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 AM   #1

Share |

New 200 amp upgrade plan with diagram

Before I state what I'm going to attempt, I'd like to let everyone know that even though I'm not an electrician, I do have many years of experience in the field and I'm going to obtain proper permits before I attempt this project. (I have to get permits for my utility to connect service).

I'm planning on upgrading my old 100 amp service to 200 amp. The previous owner built a pool and did not connect the pool panel to the fused side of the main fuse box (probably blew a couple fuses)

I've done pretty extensive research and planning and have come to the point where I feel pretty comfortable attempting this on my own with the on-call help of a friend with more experience in the field.

My plan is to install a 200 amp meter/main outside that will feed my two major outdoor power hogs which are the pool equipment and AC condenser. The meter I'm going with comes equipped with feed-through lugs which I'm going to use to run 2/0-2/0-2/0-1 AL SER cable rated for 150 amps to an indoor 150 subpanel (with a 150 amp breaker) which is in the same building about 40 feet away. This indoor panel will be my main panel for my home circuits.

For grounding, I'm going to isolate the neutral and ground in the sub panel and run the ground back to the main outdoor meter with has neutral and ground bonded then down to two 8' grounding rods 6' apart.

Diagram below. Any feedback will help. If there's something I'm missing or if there's a better way to do this I'd like to know as well.

Two things I'm not 100% sure of is if I have to run grounding rods for the subpanel and if the 2/0 AL would be allowed to run out of a 200 amp panel that is not protected by a 150 amp breaker (at least the cable isn't)

Last edited by seephor; 03-31-2014 at 04:39 AM.
seephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
I am

Edit

Will have more java.

(Yes. One throw with main. Did not see at first. Ty )

Last edited by UnclePhil; 03-31-2014 at 07:43 AM.
UnclePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Master Electrician

The main at the meter disconnects everything with one throw. The conductors from the feed thru lugs must be rated for 200 amps or protected by an appropriately sized CB.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

A sub panel in the same building does not require ground rods.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
The main at the meter disconnects everything with one throw. The conductors from the feed thru lugs must be rated for 200 amps or protected by an appropriately sized CB.
Great info. I'll go with 4/0 4/0 4/0 2/0 SER cable for the run. If i do, then can I go with a simple 200 amp main lug for the sub panel since the main lug will be protected by the main 200 amp breaker at the meter?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by seephor View Post
Great info. I'll go with 4/0 4/0 4/0 2/0 SER cable for the run. If i do, then can I go with a simple 200 amp main lug for the sub panel since the main lug will be protected by the main 200 amp breaker at the meter?
That is correct as long as the main is not on a separate building or structure.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by seephor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
That is correct as long as the main is not on a separate building or structure.
You got me?

Again.. isn't that 4/0 SE to a sub panel?
After the meter/panel it becomes a feeder and 4/0 is too small?
Guess it depends if you're considering the meter/panel a panel?
UnclePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
Licensed electrician

As long as the inside panel serves the entire load of the dwelling the same sizing rules as a service apply. It does not sound like this applies as the AC and pool loads are in the meter panel.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I think I have pretty much everything I need to get going. I initially wanted to run a 150 amp indoor sub panel using a 150 breaker and smaller AWG cable but I don't think 150 amp breakers are easy to come by and pretty expensive if they exist which is why I'm sort of forced to go with a 200 amp sub panel using the feed through method with heavier cable. I could go with a 100 amp sub panel with a 100 amp breaker in the meter/main with smaller cable but that's not much of an upgrade from my previous setup.

a 150 amp subpanel with a breaker in the meter/main with 2/0 SE cable would have been ideal and cheaper in panel and cable.

I know SE cable isn't supposed to be run in conduit unless it's prone to damage or underground. I'm guessing a short 4 foot drop from the meter panel through the side of the house would not be an issue. The rest of the run will go through some floor joists (1.5" min clearance from joist edges). I'm going to be installing 1/16" metal plates above the joist for better protection as well. Also read I need to install metal sheets between the stubs where the SE cable will rise up into the sub panel.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Licensed Electrician

4/0 SER cable is legal to use to feed a 200A sub panel as 180A is not a standard breaker size as long as the SER does not run in thermal insulation.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
4/0 SER cable is legal to use to feed a 200A sub panel as 180A is not a standard breaker size as long as the SER does not run in thermal insulation.
Right. If it does then you must use the amp rating under 60 C in which case would be 150A for 4/0 AL.

Would you know how "run in insulation" is defined? Any specific spacing between SE cable and insulating material that will pass code? I do want to install insulation through the 10 ft of joists where the SE will go through the joists. Just when you thought you were in the clear something like this creeps up aaahh!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
Licensed Electrician

This is a crawlspace...correct? If so, don't drill the joists. Staple to the bottom of them.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
This is a crawlspace...correct? If so, don't drill the joists. Staple to the bottom of them.
most of the run is under crawl space. There's about 10 foot of run which does not have a crawl space. It's through that section I need to drill the joists. The remainder of the run will have the cable stapled to the bottom like you mentioned.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #14
Licensed Electrician

You don't need to drill the joists.