Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Share |

Neutral at switch leg.

I completely understand that the NEC now requires a neutral at a switch box location. I am aware that with most electronic devices there is a need for a true neutral at the box rather than a pigtail to ground. (seen that many times.) I guess that my question is why the NEC decided to make it code to provide this. In any given situation, how many of you have come across a need for this at all the switch boxes in a residential, or for that matter commercial installation? Every instance I have seen in new construction where a neutral is needed it has been spec'd on the print. Why the overwhelming sweep? If you say convenience....since when has the NEC thought about "convenience" for anyone? Just wonderin'.....

Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Resi EC

Neutral at switch leg.

From what I understand on this issue, it's not required in commercial since it can be added later via conduit.
Almost the same for residential, if one can be added later, through open cavities, from an unfinished side of wall, ect...
For the most part I run one irregardless.
As for 'why the overwhelming sweep' ... would take some checking into.
Would need to find the original proposal, and the reason for the CMP accepting it.

Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gac66610 For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
I am aware that with most electronic devices there is a need for a true neutral at the box rather than a pigtail to ground. (seen that many times.) I guess that my question is why the NEC decided to make it code to provide this.
You answered this before you asked it.
It is because so many MORONS were using a bare ground as a current carrying neutral because it was convenient and easy at the time (probably using the fatally flawed yet oh so common mentality that "they both go to the same place").
Using a bare ground to carry circuit current is NEVER code and NEVER saef.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Julius793 (09-14-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #4

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
It is because so many MORONS were using a bare ground as a current carrying neutral because it was convenient and easy at the time (probably using the fatally flawed yet oh so common mentality that "they both go to the same place").

I agree with your observation. But is it your opinion or is it factual that the NEC actually made it a code issue because of that? In reality, how many switch boxes have you wired in a home that require a neutral present at the time of construction? From my observations only those which control outside lights are the ones which utilize them. I'm not knocking the code ruling, just wondering about it's origin. But again, point noted and taken.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #5

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
I agree with your observation. But is it your opinion or is it factual that the NEC actually made it a code issue because of that? In reality, how many switch boxes have you wired in a home that require a neutral present at the time of construction? From my observations only those which control outside lights are the ones which utilize them. I'm not knocking the code ruling, just wondering about it's origin. But again, point noted and taken.
What does time of construction have to do with anything???? If later on they want to add a timer that uses a neutral the may connect it to the ground. Or if they want an outlet below the switch same thing!!!

Last edited by Julius793; 09-14-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Julius793 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julius793 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #6

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
I will go with safety also. There are so many powered devices availiable now.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Neutral at switch leg.

It could also be to eliminate the use of the white wire as an ungrounded conductor.

Some people get confused when they see a "neutral" tied on with black wires or see a white wire in the switch box and assume it's a neutral.

Commercial is "usually" done by qualified individuals.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #8

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
I agree with your observation. But is it your opinion or is it factual that the NEC actually made it a code issue because of that?
Opinion. To be honest I don't really care why, does it matter? IMO no.

Quote:
In reality, how many switch boxes have you wired in a home that require a neutral present at the time of construction?
I agree with Julius, WHAT does it matter? That would be like saying why do you need three prong grounding receptacles, almost nothing has a ground any more.
To answer your question, yes, of of course I have had plenty of things at the time of construction. Mainly smart dimmers.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #9

Neutral at switch leg.

Here is the Handbook Commentary if you're interested:

Quote:
This section is new in the 2011 Code. Many electronic lighting control devices require a standby current to maintain the ready state and detection capability of the device. This allows immediate switching of the load to the “on” condition. These devices require standby current when they are in the “off ” state, that is, when there is no load current. Many of these devices utilize the equipment grounding conductor for the standby current flow. Prior to this requirement, a grounded conductor was not usually provided in the switch box for switches controlling lighting loads, so these control devices needed to utilize the equipment grounding conductor to conduct the standby current. Occupancy sensors are permitted by UL 773A, Standard for Safety of Non-Industrial Photoelectric Switches for Lighting Control, to have a current of up to 0.5 mA on the equipment grounding conductor. In fact, a number of UL standards permit up to a 0.5 mA ground leakage current as acknowledgment of an operational necessity. This is allowed because the function of an occupancy sensor requires a low level standby current. The standard permits this current on the equipment grounding conductor because in a typical installation there may be no grounded circuit conductor in the switch box that can be used as the return conductor for the standby current. The exception allows two scenarios under which the grounded circuit conductor is not required. In the first scenario, the exception permits the conductor to be omitted in raceway installations where it is practical to add a conductor at the switch location in the future, if needed. The second scenario allows the conductor to be omitted where the construction of the framing cavity in which the switch box is located permits access through which the conductor can be run in the future.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Neutral at switch leg.

The exceptions seem odd to me. Yes if you have conduit or the construction allows access, you can add a neutral conductor. But how may homeowners trying to add a timer or a dimmer will have the knowledge (or the desire) to undertake the rewiring? ("My buddy says to just connect the white wire to the bare ground- It'll work fine")
Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Retired from the grind

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
Sorry, have to disagree. There is not enough evidence showing that everyone was using the grounding wire as a current carrying conductor. If you dig into it, the main reason was that people are now putting more timers & electronic gadgets to control lighting. With that, a lot of circuits namely switch legs do not have a Neutral.

Also, majority making these changes are home owners, not licensed electricians. It is easier to band-aid stupid, than fix it, which is why they added that section into the latest NEC.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #12

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Sorry, have to disagree. There is not enough evidence showing that everyone was using the grounding wire as a current carrying conductor. If you dig into it, the main reason was that people are now putting more timers & electronic gadgets to control lighting. With that, a lot of circuits namely switch legs do not have a Neutral.
....you are saying the same thing as Speedy.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:
Julius793 (09-14-2012), silversport (09-14-2012), Speedy Petey (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappa View Post
....you are saying the same thing as Speedy.
I did not go into a whole thesis to get to the point. Sometimes things just tend to get over engineered, vs breaking it down to simple terms.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
Lic Electrical Inspector

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
I completely understand that the NEC now requires a neutral at a switch box location. I am aware that with most electronic devices there is a need for a true neutral at the box rather than a pigtail to ground. (seen that many times.) I guess that my question is why the NEC decided to make it code to provide this. In any given situation, how many of you have come across a need for this at all the switch boxes in a residential, or for that matter commercial installation? Every instance I have seen in new construction where a neutral is needed it has been spec'd on the print. Why the overwhelming sweep? If you say convenience....since when has the NEC thought about "convenience" for anyone? Just wonderin'.....
Thanks to Petey for supplying the explanitory info from the NEC handbook which I have reposted below.

This section is new in the 2011 Code. Many electronic lighting control devices require a standby current to maintain the ready state and detection capability of the device. This allows immediate switching of the load to the “on” condition. These devices require standby current when they are in the “off ” state, that is, when there is no load current. Many of these devices utilize the equipment grounding conductor for the standby current flow. Prior to this requirement, a grounded conductor was not usually provided in the switch box for switches controlling lighting loads, so these control devices needed to utilize the equipment grounding conductor to conduct the standby current. Occupancy sensors are permitted by UL 773A, Standard for Safety of Non-Industrial Photoelectric Switches for Lighting Control, to have a current of up to 0.5 mA on the equipment grounding conductor. In fact, a number of UL standards permit up to a 0.5 mA ground leakage current as acknowledgment of an operational necessity. This is allowed because the function of an occupancy sensor requires a low level standby current. The standard permits this current on the equipment grounding conductor because in a typical installation there may be no grounded circuit conductor in the switch box that can be used as the return conductor for the standby current. The exception allows two scenarios under which the grounded circuit conductor is not required. In the first scenario, the exception permits the conductor to be omitted in raceway installations where it is practical to add a conductor at the switch location in the future, if needed. The second scenario allows the conductor to be omitted where the construction of the framing cavity in which the switch box is located permits access through which the conductor can be run in the future.

Unfortunately the explanitory info (which is not code for our amatures), fell short of detailing the real reason. The real reason was not because of "people are now putting more timers & electronic gadgets to control lighting. With that, a lot of circuits namely switch legs do not have a neutral". The problem is that in large buildings where there are a large quantity of these devices, each device adds a small amount of current to the grounding system via the EGC. Upto 0.5 mA per device to be exact. This in turn created problems with GFI breakers in buildings with 277v lighting and led to nuisance tripping.

Hope this helps!
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #15

Neutral at switch leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
The problem is that in large buildings where there are a large quantity of these devices, each device adds a small amount of current to the grounding system via the EGC. Upto 0.5 mA per device to be exact. This in turn created problems with GFI breakers in buildings with 277v lighting and led to nuisance tripping.

Hope this helps!
It helps very much. This is the reasoning I was looking for.