DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Neutral bus corrosion (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/neutral-bus-corrosion-146241/)

JeffT 06-06-2012 09:45 PM

Neutral bus corrosion
 
I have a 30 year old 100 amp Murray service panel. The screws in the neutral bus bar (aluminum) are corroded, not horribly, but obviously. What should I do at this point?

TIA

IntexInspector 06-06-2012 09:47 PM

What is the location of the panel?

Speedy Petey 06-06-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffT (Post 937917)
I have a 30 year old 100 amp Murray service panel. The screws in the neutral bus bar (aluminum) are corroded, not horribly, but obviously. What should I do at this point?

Nothing until it fails.

If there is obvious water infiltration then you should find the source and fix it.

rrolleston 06-06-2012 10:38 PM

I would turn the main breaker off clean up the connections and add some ox guard to the connections. Bad neutrals can cause all sorts of undesireable effects.

JeffT 06-07-2012 01:28 PM

Corrosion to neutral bus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntexInspector (Post 937920)
What is the location of the panel?

It's in a very dry basement. Really, there are such things in New England. They're just RARE . . .

IntexInspector 06-07-2012 02:51 PM

What type of basement,concrete block,poured concrete,stone? Is there laundry in the basement?

JeffT 06-07-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntexInspector (Post 938393)
What type of basement,concrete block,poured concrete,stone? Is there laundry in the basement?

Fieldstone. 100 years old. I just added laundry, vented to the outside . . .

stickboy1375 06-07-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffT (Post 938456)
Fieldstone. 100 years old. I just added laundry, vented to the outside . . .

Im sure the humidity is a lot higher than you think, run a dehumidifier... most stone foundations i've worked in all have panel issues with corrosion...

AllanJ 06-07-2012 08:01 PM

Loosen and then retighten each screw and set screw that holds wires in place in the panel. This cleans and therefore improves the connection.

Do not use tremendous force.

Should something break in the process then it was too far gone, corrosion wise.

Each neutral (white) wire must have its own hole and screw in the neutral bus bar. Two ground wires (green or bare) of the same size can share a hole.

stickboy1375 06-07-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllanJ (Post 938630)
Loosen and then retighten each screw and set screw that holds wires in place in the panel. This cleans and therefore improves the connection.

Do not use tremendous force.

Should something break in the process then it was too far gone, corrosion wise.

Each neutral (white) wire must have its own hole and screw in the neutral bus bar. Two ground wires (green or bare) of the same size can share a hole.

You might want to suggest they turn off the breakers before loosening any neutral connections...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.