Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
Bud

Rewards Points: 10

Need to wire my tablesaw

Hello All
I need a little help please.
I have a woodworking shop detached from my house.
I wired my shop from my main service panel for the house, which is 100 amp service. I have a 50 amp 220 breaker in the main panel that goes to my shop. I have a sub panel in the shop with curcuits for lighting, hand power tools etc.
I recently bought a new unisaw (tablesaw) which is 220 volt, 3 horse single phase. I have a 20 amp dbbl. breaker for 220, but not sure about how to wire the breaker. Heres what I think and tell me if I'm wrong!
I'm using 12-2 with ground to feed the 220 outlet for the saw. To wire the breaker, do I attach the Black to one leg of the Dbbl. breaker and the white to the other leg, and the ground wire to the ground bar?

Thanks for the help in advance, I hate anything I can't see, Electricity should have a form and color

Thanks, Bud

Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Need to wire my tablesaw

Bud,

Quote:
To wire the breaker, do I attach the Black to one leg of the Dbbl. breaker and the white to the other leg, and the ground wire to the ground bar?
Yes. And to be thorough, a ring of red electrical tape should be wrapped on the white wires at point of connection.

...Christopher

Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Need to wire my tablesaw

I would sure love a lot more info on the size house, appliances gas or electric and shop use you have. Sounds to me like you could be getting way undersized in many areas. Have a demand factor calculation done... Your saw alone could draw 17+ amps depending on np of course. Lights/heaters/etc just in shop could ramp it up fast. I had to add separate service to my shop because of demand and my House has 200 amp service. Just by single motor and nameplate you are using almost 25% of your total capacity to the house... Whats the distance between buildings? What is the service entrance and panel feed size?

Just curious
terrynistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #4

Question

Need to wire my tablesaw

I was just looking at new table saws and was looking at a 5hp or 3hp 230V saw- in talking with them about wiring - the 3hp requires a 30 amp breaker and thus needs 10guage wire- not the 12 like I have - also the 5hp requires a 40amp breaker and thus I assume needs no.8 wire - so are you sure the one you looked at only needs a 20amp circuit? my question is- I have some no.8 wire- and I was going to pull it for this application but is it ok- if I end up with the 30AMP saw and not the 40? - i.e is it ok if the wire guage is 1 size too big? thanks
scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Need to wire my tablesaw

Too big of wire is fine. Putting the #8 wire you have on a 30A breaker to support your saw will be just dandy. It will also let you upgrade that Uni to the 5HP with only a breaker change! Now, you NEVER want to do the reverse. (Putting small wire on larger breaker)
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Need to wire my tablesaw

Also, check out woodnet. Great woodworking resource and lots of unisaw guys there.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote