Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #1

Share |

need thoughts on planning rewire

My house was built in 1932 and was updated to 100 amp service in 1999 by the prior owners. When the electrical system was updated they pulled a permit and passed inspection. After a month i started having electrical issues and black marks running up the walls. started pulling out the work boxes and found they ran 14/2 g to the first plate of every run and a short piece up above the boxes and junctioned to Knob and tube inside the wall. So being an idiot i lodged a complaint against my home inspector who didnt put this in the report. Later I found out the inspector was a friend of the twp. inspector who now gives me a headache every time i do any thing. So 8 years later im finally decided to start the major task of pulling all new lines and circuits and am looking to find information on What will fail inspection In Nj before i start to save my self the hastle. I am planning on blowing cellulose in next summer so i want to make sure i have any future needs taken care of while i rewire.First I was wondering if their where any codes of using 12/2g and running all circuits at 20 amps instead of trying to figure. Second, I am looking to install remote controlled dimmer switches can only find them in 15 amp, so can i use them on a 15 amp circuit.Third I decided i want to do LED pods in all the rooms to save on electricity. Now my question is since they run aprox. 13 watts a piece Can i put More on a circuit or does code prohibit more than a certain amount. Finally My house was originally wired sith 1 ceiling light and 1 electrical outlet in each room except the living room, which had 2, so i will be wiring to install approx 40 led pods and aprox 60 outlets in the hole house. With central Air, Gas Funace existing, im looking to ad a recepticle for an electric dryer Just in case, Washer,garbage disposal and Dish washer, will 100 amp service still be sufficient? Im planning on changing out my breaker box any way due to the fact the original wiring is pretty much all on 3 circuits and by code i need more than the 8 in the panel existing, Do i Have to upgrade to 200 amp to cover the new additions? Im Not going to be installing all the pods right away, i plan on blank plating them for future use just in case. Im affraid The inspector will fight me every step of the way already so I figured Id through the question out their. Unfortunately, I cant afford an electrician to pull the wires, I asked them if i run them back to the new panel and tie them in to a dead panel will they take it from their they said just as long as it passes inspection first cause they have had problems with the same inspector ever since they backed me when i lodged a complaint on my home inspector. sorry this is so long just wanted to be as detailed as possible and thank you in advance for any input.
Ericjsmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

Quote:
My house was built in 1932 and was updated to 100 amp service in 1999 by the prior owners. When the electrical system was updated they pulled a permit and passed inspection. After a month i started having electrical issues and black marks running up the walls. started pulling out the work boxes and found they ran 14/2 g to the first plate of every run and a short piece up above the boxes and junctioned to Knob and tube inside the wall. So being an idiot i lodged a complaint against my home inspector who didnt put this in the report.
It sounds like something wasn't done properly when they updated the panel/circuits. When you say "black marks" are you talking about scorch marks? I'd go back to the city and/or contractor who did the work and ask how this passed.

Quote:
First I was wondering if their where any codes of using 12/2g and running all circuits at 20 amps instead of trying to figure.
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If it's a 20 amp circuit it will be on 12awg. Whether or not you need a 20 amp circuit depends on the application.

Quote:
Second, I am looking to install remote controlled dimmer switches can only find them in 15 amp, so can i use them on a 15 amp circuit.
Typically you can put a standard lighting circuit on 15 amps, but check with your AHJ first.

Quote:
Third I decided i want to do LED pods in all the rooms to save on electricity. Now my question is since they run aprox. 13 watts a piece Can i put More on a circuit or does code prohibit more than a certain amount.
Do a load calculation. Assuming 120v one of those LEDs would use 0.078 amps. To use 80% of a 15 amp breaker you'd need to be running ~153 of those bulbs simultaneously.

Quote:
Finally My house was originally wired sith 1 ceiling light and 1 electrical outlet in each room except the living room, which had 2, so i will be wiring to install approx 40 led pods and aprox 60 outlets in the hole house. With central Air, Gas Funace existing, im looking to ad a recepticle for an electric dryer Just in case, Washer,garbage disposal and Dish washer, will 100 amp service still be sufficient? Im planning on changing out my breaker box any way due to the fact the original wiring is pretty much all on 3 circuits and by code i need more than the 8 in the panel existing, Do i Have to upgrade to 200 amp to cover the new additions? Im Not going to be installing all the pods right away, i plan on blank plating them for future use just in case. Im affraid The inspector will fight me every step of the way already so I figured Id through the question out their. Unfortunately, I cant afford an electrician to pull the wires, I asked them if i run them back to the new panel and tie them in to a dead panel will they take it from their they said just as long as it passes inspection first cause they have had problems with the same inspector ever since they backed me when i lodged a complaint on my home inspector. sorry this is so long just wanted to be as detailed as possible and thank you in advance for any input.
I'm not entirely following you here. You're using only three breakers in a 100 amp panel? What code are you referencing that says you "need 8"? Eight what? Breakers? You can install as many breakers as the panel will hold.

If you want to install 40 light fixtures and 60 receptacles it sounds like you will be opening up much of the walls/ceilings in your house. Check with your AHJ, but this should all be held to new construction standards so for example your kitchen will require separate circuits for small appliances, dishwasher, disposal, range, microwave, etc. They might make you use AFCI breakers on everything or maybe just the bedrooms.

I'm not an electrician, and while I feel comfortable pulling permits for work in my own house and running new circuits, I don't think this is a DIY project I would ever want to tackle. You're talking about a major amount of work. You're doing a whole house rewire, not just altering or repairing a few circuits. My biggest question is how do you intend to live in the midst of all of this construction? It sounds to me like if you try to pull all of this wire yourself that you'll be living in a spaghetti mess of wire for months if not years. Find an electrical contractor that can get this all done with a couple of guys in a long weekend while you stay at a hotel. Besides, if you have the contractor pull the permit I doubt the inspector will give him a hard time since it's you he apparently hates.
buckybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericjsmail View Post
So being an idiot i lodged a complaint against my home inspector who didnt put this in the report.
I'm not inspector but how in the world would the inspector know this, did you expect him to rip open your walls to see how the wiring was done? Inspectors can't see everything, which alot of people don't understand.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

I agree with you to a point, but come on, if an electrical contractor pulls a permit to upgrade a service panel it's incumbent on them to do some investigative work to see what they're wiring up to. Your average home inspector is only going to catch what's obvious to the naked eye. I can't believe a city inspector would pass a new panel that's apparently spliced into K+T wiring. We must not be getting the whole story here.....
buckybadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electical, electrical box, nec, re-wire, wiring