DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Need some wiring help w/microwave (

Biggredd 02-14-2007 10:02 AM

Need some wiring help w/microwave
I recently installed a microwave above my stove in a perfect spot (under the cabinet). I cut a hole in the back wall of the cabinet and put an outlet in there and ran some romex into the ceiling. I have no idea how to wire into the breaker box nor do I feel comfortable doing it (unless it's easy and I just don't know that). So I am just running an extension cord as discreetly as possible. Short of paying someone over $100 to connect the one end of wire does anyone have a suggestion on what I should do?

Speedy Petey 02-14-2007 10:30 AM

If you are at all uncomfortable pay whatever it cost to have it hooked up correctly and safely.
Also have then check your work at the unit.

KUIPORNG 02-14-2007 03:59 PM

How easy/difficult depends on your situation:

if you have outlet close by your microwave, say on the same veritcal space, you should be able to steal power from it easily rather than doing what you did... you don't really need to go all the way to the breaker panel.. as it is perfectly normal to expect kitchen outlet to take power from microwave... so you just move the outlet position form one to another .although you really stealing power....

if you don't have outlet on the same vertical space.... it is difficult to steal without breaking drywall I think.... but some expect may have idea...

the bottom line is: your solution should be stealing power from an existing kitchen outlet....

Speedy Petey 02-14-2007 04:03 PM

Please IGNORE the advice given in the last post. This is NOT a viable, or legal, solution.

You CANNOT feed a permanently mounted appliance off the counter or general kitchen/DR receptacle circuits.

This appliance requires a dedicated circuit, or at least one with not much else on it.

Biggredd 02-14-2007 04:08 PM

That was an option I had considered. But I agree it probably wouldn't be safe considering it is a 1,000 watt microwave. Also, the outlet boxes were installed prior to drywall and it is extremely difficult to access them anyways (I've had other reasons to try and access the other outlet boxes internally). I guess I could just call a GC and get some quotes. Do they run it straight to the breaker box? It doesn't seem like I have an expandable slot available.

darren 02-14-2007 04:38 PM

Don't call a GC(genreal contractor) call an electrical contractor. Ask your friends if they can recommend one or look in the yellow pages.

If there is no room in your panel, depending on the style of panel you may be able to get diffrent breakers and make it work.

Call an electrical contractor, save yourself the headache, it is well worth your money.

troubleseeker 02-14-2007 09:30 PM

You have already done the smartest part...recognizing that you are not comfortable messing in the electric panel. Hire an electrician to complete the hookup, he may need to reconfigure some breakers in the existing panel to make room for a new one, and once you remove the cover from a breaker panel there are lots of ways to touch something you should not and at best just get the c..p shocked out of you. Forget tapping power from any existing circuit, this is illegal for any permanently mounted appliance, besides most likely overloading the circuit and tripping the breaker frequently. Some things are best left to a pro when you have no experience in the area.

Biggredd 02-15-2007 08:46 AM

Sounds like a plan. Will hire someone.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1