Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need some information, poss bad electrical

To start off with, we live in a small house, built in early 40s. I'm not sure anything has ever been updated (we've lived here less than a year and are renters). For starters, the light fixture above the sink would get brighter, then dimmer, then go off, then come back on. Our landlord was supposed to bring a new fixture for my husband to replace it, but he never showed up. Now, on the side of the house, we had a bad storm come through, and now the outlet in the bedroom and in the bathroom no longer work. The breaker had flipped off, but nothing happened when I flipped it back on. This was the only 3 pronged outlet in the bedroom, and it all worked fine before. There is an exposed wire coming out of the floor, I'm not sure if it's live or not, we don't have the materials to check it out. We move in here because we didn't have any other choice at the time, now we're seriously considering moving. Should we run as fast as we can? How do we know the wiring may be bad?

gyverbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,290

Sounds very sus to me,
Tell the landlord to get it all fixed and made safe,
If he doesnt, then move out.

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I would think there is a GFI outlet somewhere in the circuit that is tripped maybe even on the front or back of the house, check there first.
jbevo1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

This sucks and I am sorry you have suck a jerky landlord. It is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to fix this. Unless you are on a month-to-month you shouldn't just cut and run without doing some homework first:

1. Send a letter to your landlord requesting the repair. Be specific about each item. Send it return receipt requested (I am assuming you are in the US - you want proof it was received). Be nice, keep a copy.

2. Take pictures of the exposed wire.

3. Find your local tenants or renters resource. They will help you walk through the procedure to get a response from your landlord or to legally break your lease.

4. With the exception of trying to find and reset a GFCI, DO NOT DO ANY ELECTRICAL WORK without your landlord's written permission.

Good luck

I lived in a rental with a real scum-bag landlord for 5 years. Our heat went out friday night on the coldest weekend of the year. We got no response from the landlord and we called the number on the furnace for emergency service. Our landlord was pissed that we didn't wait for service on Monday when it would have been cheaper.

Last edited by Leah Frances; 03-04-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

I am sorry to be a bearer of bad news however your landlord will have to call in the electrician in to fix the major issue I allready figure out two possiblty either POCO side is going bad or you have bad netural connection.

Please do not try to do this repair yourself in the apartment just tell the landlord to call the electrician in to get this fix otherwise call the POCO to check their side { I know few Landlords can get ticked off if they were not infomed first which I have see it quite few time }

Leah have few good pointers I can understand her point of view with landlords I have dealt few of them and there is proper channel to address with bad landlords the fastest way to tick them off is the building inspectors { I have to use them few time when it look very dangerous with some safety issues }

but I have work with few very good landlords they do understand the safety issue and with modern codes.

one of my landlord will always call me in when one of the units is empty and he do want me check it thru with fine comb to make sure everything is legit and it do majory of the time due many tentnts are good people { of course we do get some bad one as well }

so please do it in safe manner and just don't wait too long for electrical repairs this can become a major issue.

Merci.
Marc
tpolk (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,142

In some locations where I've lived, primarily certain counties in MD, residential rental properties are required to be registered as such. This is to ensure that they have been inspected for safety, lead paint, etc. Unregistered properties cannot legally be rented to anyone. I was able to get out of a lease once because of this.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
In some locations where I've lived, primarily certain counties in MD, residential rental properties are required to be registered as such. This is to ensure that they have been inspected for safety, lead paint, etc. Unregistered properties cannot legally be rented to anyone. I was able to get out of a lease once because of this.
I have see that in couple spots in North east wisconsin area but in Paris France it is genrally more tighter than what you see in the states they will inspect more frequent especally where high contracated { numbers } of Lofts { Our terms of Apartments }

And yeah they have to be inspected as well to make sure they meet the code some itmes are in Grandfather clause but it is very limted use on this.

Merci.
Marc