Need Some Help With Converting 120V To 220V - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Need some help with converting 120V to 220V

Hopefully someone can help me with this problem. I bought a PS3 in the states and I'm trying to use it here in the UK.

The specs for the PS3 is 120V AC, 60HZ approx power consumption 380W.
I went out and bought a voltage converter 220/240V to/from 110/220 maximum 500W. Was this the correct thing to buy? I set the input voltage switch to 220V and then pluggged in the PS3 and turned it on. That was the correct thing to do right? Yet when I touch the PS3 there seems to be a slight shock coming from the unit. ??? I really don't want to fry my $500 PS3. HELP!!!!


zammy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 7,971
Rewards Points: 1,548

Before you connect it up you need to be sure that the PS3 works on 50 Hz AC, or that the converter delivers 60 Hz AC. A converter taking source current of 50 Hz needs more than a transformer to output 60 Hz.

There is a significant chance that putting in lower than the correct frequency of AC will fry the device.

In addition, for the converter, the ground of the output power receptacle should be connected/tied/bonded to the ground of the source power plug. If your device has only a 2 prong plug, it is perfectly proper to run a ground wire from the chassis of the device to a known ground, daisy chaining with the chassis of other electronic devices.


Last edited by AllanJ; 01-09-2008 at 10:49 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Union Electrician
goose134's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Posts: 615
Rewards Points: 500

I think you could do one of two things. One, many electronics shops will offer a service where power supplies can be swapped out. Two, sell it on E-Bay and use the money to buy one in Europe. I don't mean to sound flip, but I'm not sure that it can be done easily. It will almost certainly affect your warrantee, perhaps voiding it. Maybe Sony has a change up program or some factory authorized service centers that can swap the power supply for you. Just a thought. Good luck!
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

Ok this is what I bought, safe to use ????

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. As for swapping out the electrics, thats not really an option for me as I will only be here for a few months and returning back to the US. Here is the product I bought. Its made by a company called JEC in Japan. If you can scroll down to the bottom its the last one on the list VC-823. It doesn't say anything about its Hz??? Safe or not ? (specs for my ps3 are on my first post).
zammy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 999
Rewards Points: 500

None of those provide 60 hz power. It's much more complicated to convert the frequency. The only way I know of doing it is to convert to DC, and then Invert back to AC at the correct frequency.

You may just have to survive for 2 months <GASP> without PlayStation! :p
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,790
Rewards Points: 240

Looks like you need the VC-813. 220/50Hz in 120/60Hz out.
The PS3 will not work on 50 Hz? I would see about that before you do anything more. I know nothing about the game machine.
If it worked before you worked on it. You did something wrong.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
Once fried, twice shy.
elkangorito's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thailand
Posts: 251
Rewards Points: 250

From what you are saying, the PS3 has a metal chassis. Is this correct? If this is correct & you are getting "zapped", I believe that you may have a problem with your earthing system OR for some reason, the PS3 is not being earthed. If the PS3 has a metal chassis (& therefore not double insulated), the power lead must have 3 conductors ie Active (hot), Neutral & Earth.

The UK has a similar earthing system to that of Australia, that is the TN-C-S and/or TT systems. The UK electrical system is very similar to the Australian electrical system, and yet very different from the American electrical system.

As others have said, you will need to convert the frequency as well as the voltage.


Switchboard design engineer & Licensed Electrician (Australia).
elkangorito is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting 220v dryer to 110v dbielinski Appliances 17 09-05-2012 05:45 PM
Converting std 220v/60hz to Single phase 240V 3-wire jryali Electrical 19 03-23-2009 11:06 PM
question about 220V cd player vs 120V Electrical 2 11-25-2007 03:23 AM
220v to 120v blwjrma71 Electrical 4 11-21-2005 06:43 AM
European 220V outlet "Schuko" estophile Electrical 6 08-27-2005 08:45 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1