Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Need a really narrow gangbox, or...

I'm installing 120 vac smoke/CO detectors, and local code requires I have one placed outside every bedroom. My kids' bedrooms are right next to each other and the inspector said I could mount one between the two rooms. I just made a hole in the drywall and I discovered there is less than 2" space between the king studs.

Do they make a narrow gangbox to fit inside that space? Can you drill in a 1/2" hole or so and install a cordgrip in the wall? Is there a surface mounted box I could use? I'd rather spend $4 on a special box than spend another $45 to get an additional detector!

spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,184

Smokes are more effective when ceiling mounted. The rules also allow the smokes within something like 15 feet of the entry doors.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Use a pancake box... can be a little tough with smoke detectors though...Otherwise just use a wire mold box.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Know A Little (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,042

Never heard of them being mounted outside a bedroom door, where required to have them just inside the room near the door and one in the hallway.
I also agree they should be on the ceiling not the wall.
Smoke and heat rises to the highest point.
Also easier to pull the wires.
Know A Little (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

Apparently it's a city code requirement. A smoke detector in every bedroom and a smoke and a CO detector outside every bedroom. All have to be 120 Vac with battery backup. I think the city has stock in First Alert.

Inspector said I could get away with using one smoke/CO detector if it was mounted between the two bedrooms. And the reason I'm not mounting it in the ceiling is because the access panel to the attic is in the way.

But if the 15' rule applies to local code, that definitely opens up options for me.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

The smoke alarm in every sleeping area and outside the sleeping areas along with one per level is in the building codes.
Speedy Petey (07-17-2014), stickboy1375 (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 202

The smokes/CO detectors also have to be inter-connected.
petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #8

The funny thing is I got two different answers about inter-connecting the wires from two different inspectors. One told me all the alarms must be interconnected, regardless. I told him that would mean finding a way to run wiring from the basement to the upstairs which would not be easy at all and he said that didn't matter. The other inspector told me they do not need to be interconnected if you have to tear into drywall to run new wiring. You can guess which inspector I'm now working with.

The good news is it took a bit of digging (and removing my bathroom medicine cabinet) but I found a way to run the wiring to interconnect all of them. It will take a good bit of work, but I have 4 kids and to me the added safety is worth it.

And more good news - I found a metal gang box that is more narrow than the plastic ones and it fits.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #9
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman spif
The funny thing is I got two different answers about inter-connecting the wires from two different inspectors. One told me all the alarms must be interconnected, regardless. I told him that would mean finding a way to run wiring from the basement to the upstairs which would not be easy at all and he said that didn't matter. The other inspector told me they do not need to be interconnected if you have to tear into drywall to run new wiring. You can guess which inspector I'm now working with. The good news is it took a bit of digging (and removing my bathroom medicine cabinet) but I found a way to run the wiring to interconnect all of them. It will take a good bit of work, but I have 4 kids and to me the added safety is worth it. And more good news - I found a metal gang box that is more narrow than the plastic ones and it fits.
You can buy smoke detectors that interconnect wirelessly in both battery powered and hard wired.
clw1963 (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

The junction box will need to be at least 14 cubic inches if you have two 14-3 cables in it. You will appreciate the extra room when tucking the wires in the box along with the harness.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,082

While you are doing the work you should go ahead and put them in the Bedrooms too. That is actually what the code says. Inspector might be giving you the pass because it may have been built before the code change but this is a good time to do it.

Kids can get curious about fire and one playing with matches in his bedroom with the door closed - well the sensor in the bedroom would detect it long before the one in the hall.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
While you are doing the work you should go ahead and put them in the Bedrooms too. That is actually what the code says. Inspector might be giving you the pass because it may have been built before the code change but this is a good time to do it.

Kids can get curious about fire and one playing with matches in his bedroom with the door closed - well the sensor in the bedroom would detect it long before the one in the hall.
I already installed those. The one going outside the bedroom was the only one that needed a narrow box to fit in between the studs.