Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 28
Share |
Default

need quick advice


hey i jus need a simple answer. single phase pump motor needs to be connect to power. there is one green, one black and one red/white? (i believe this wire used to be red but faded). i kno green is ground, i just need to know which wire gets hooked up to L1 and L2. the motor is set on 115V. and dont worry power is cut off completely.

funkjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,503
Default

need quick advice


Sounds easy enough. But is there any drawing on the motor or in the connection box? Looks like black and white/red get connected to L1 & L2. Green to ground connection in box.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 28
Default

need quick advice


yes there is a drawing on motor and i know where the wires get plugged into. so my question is, does is matter which wire goes to L1 and L2 or can they be swapped out?
funkjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
I=E/R
 
a7ecorsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,052
Default

need quick advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjosh View Post
hey i jus need a simple answer. single phase pump motor needs to be connect to power. there is one green, one black and one red/white? (i believe this wire used to be red but faded). i kno green is ground, i just need to know which wire gets hooked up to L1 and L2. the motor is set on 115V. and dont worry power is cut off completely.
I take it that this is an existing circuit. Are you 100% sure it is a 120v circuit and not a 240v circuit?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 28
Default

need quick advice


yes i believe so because the pump has been hooked up before and worked fine under the setting 115V. i jus need to kno if L1 and L2 are interchangeable.
funkjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

need quick advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjosh View Post
yes i believe so because the pump has been hooked up before and worked fine under the setting 115V. i jus need to kno if L1 and L2 are interchangeable.
L1 and L2 are really suggestive of a 240V circuit.

What exactly does the nameplate say?

Are you positive it is a dual voltage motor?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Member
 
Code05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Easton MD
Posts: 1,841
Default

need quick advice


This is a dual voltage nameplate.

Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Md/Pa
Posts: 944
Default

need quick advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
L1 and L2 are really suggestive of a 240V circuit.
Then why does your pic show L1 and L2 for the low voltage connection? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

To the OP...regardless of your voltage, going from the information in your posts, the answer to your simple question is that it doesn't matter.
zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 28
Default

need quick advice


yes im sure it is dual voltage. inside the motor there is a little black box that can either be set at 115V or 230V and it is set at 115V. i just want to be sure L1 and L2 are the same.
funkjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,580
Default

need quick advice


Generally speaking, if L1 and L2 involve a circuit with a neutral, L1 is hot and L2 is neutral. It'll still work just fine if the hot is connected to L2 and the neutral to L1.

The reason L1 is usually hot is if the motor has an overload built in to it, it'll break the L1 lead.

Breaking either one will cause current flow to the motor to stop, but it's slightly safer to break the hot.

Rob
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 28
Default

need quick advice


micromind, would it be safe to say that the red wire is hot and black is neutral?
funkjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
UAW SKILLED TRADES
 
Stubbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,875
Default

need quick advice


Black will never be neutral in my experience with ac motors in the USA. Without a pic of the wiring I would say that black is connected to L1 and the red or faded white is neutral. If those are the only wires in the wiring box and it is set on 115 volts that's about your only choice.
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,580
Default

need quick advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by stubie View Post
Black will never be neutral in my experience with ac motors in the USA. Without a pic of the wiring I would say that black is connected to L1 and the red or faded white is neutral. If those are the only wires in the wiring box and it is set on 115 volts that's about your only choice.
Agree.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #14
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 6,829
Default

need quick advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Generally speaking, if L1 and L2 involve a circuit with a neutral, L1 is hot and L2 is neutral. It'll still work just fine if the hot is connected to L2 and the neutral to L1.

The reason L1 is usually hot is if the motor has an overload built in to it, it'll break the L1 lead.

Breaking either one will cause current flow to the motor to stop, but it's slightly safer to break the hot.

Rob
Correct and very accurate.

To add to the confusion...

You will sometimes see X1 and X2. As with L1 and L2, X1 or L1 are assumed to be Hot and X2 or L2 Neutral...or the other leg of a 240Vac connection.

Typically....X implies 'source', and L implies 'load'. But not always....
__________________
"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
micromind (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 28
Default

need quick advice


ok. the consensus is L1 black, L2 white. is there a way i could test these wires safely with a multimeter to find hot and neutral to be 100% sure? thanx

funkjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chain link fence install advice ponch37300 Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 11-10-2010 06:08 PM
Drywall ceiling: Water Damage, looking for advice dawho1 Building & Construction 11 09-13-2010 10:05 AM
looking for Serious advice and Help on Insulation bfan781 Building & Construction 6 05-19-2010 11:02 AM
DIY Advice Seeker - late 1970 seventies knockdown texture onegative Drywall & Plaster 1 04-22-2010 08:40 AM
Electrical Advice Caution!!! Mike Swearingen Electrical 12 03-05-2008 11:51 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.