DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need POCO to determine service capacity?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  CheapCharlie 
#1 ·
We have underground service at our '84 built house located in Langley BC which is just outside Vancouver. I need to upgrade the service in order to install a heat pump but have a problem in that we only have a 100A panel. We currently have an electric range, dryer, and a spa so I'm pretty sure we are close to capacity for 100A.

Here's the interesting part. Service meter is rated for 200A, PVC conduit is 3" (which BC Hydro is required for 200A service) cabling from meter to the panel is 3AWG copper, but the panel is only 100A.

Should I call the POCO to pull the meter to determine the actual service size? What are the chances that the underground cabling is only rated for 100A? BC Hydro does not have the info on what was installed.

Any insight?

Thanks,
Mike

#5 ·
Called BC Hydro and there were able to tell me I can get 125A service with the cabling in place. Might be sufficient, but I really would like the 200A service.

For 200A, they will have to pull a new line for $855. Hopefully I have conduit and won't have to dig up the yard all the way to the hydro box...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.