Need: "new Construction" Book On Wiring - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

need: "new construction" book on wiring

I am now dried in on my new house and I had the pros install the meter and 200 amp panel. I am going to take on the outlet and lighting wiring, but I would like to find a book with helpful information. I already bought a book at lowes, but it only had three pages of useful information for new construction. Here are some things I am looking for

1) Number of outlets per room and per circuit
2) size of breaker and wiring for circuits
3) special requirments for kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and other areas
4) other things I should know before the inspector fails me for them

I've replaced wiring before, but have never planned and wired up a new home. I am the GC for the house so I have some construction experience. I'd rather do my homework on this than be delayed at inspection time. Is there a good book focused mainly on new construction?

Brian

Advertisement

bjherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

The NEC is the minimum required in the US. Unfortunately, different jurisdictions( from tiny cities to entire states) modify the code as they see fit before adopting it into law. I'm not suggesting you go out and purchase the NEC as only a percentage of it has to do with dwellings anyway. "wiring Simplified" is a good book which will give the NEC answer in layman's terms to the problem you are describing. I'd also consider (only if it was possible or even desirerable for you) to contact a residential electrician to come "lay out" the house for you. This would involve him (or her) marking on the studs the locations for receptacles and switches to meet the minimum per code and maybe advise you on the "extras". Best of luck to you and make sure all your wirenuts are TIGHT!! . Keep us posted.

Advertisement

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Best books are "Wiring a House" by Rex Caldwell and "Electrical Wiring: Residential" by Ray Mullin. Both are available at Amazon.
HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I bought the wiring a house book, it will be here tomorrow. I also found an electrician that's going to meet me at the house saturday and do a walk-thru explaining what I need/should have for $20/hr. Sweet deal!

Brian
bjherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Electrician philosopher

Rewards Points: 500

At that price don't get in any rush!!! If he's a good resi. guy that is a goldmine of info and if you can tie him down for 8 hrs. boy-o-boy I would!
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote