Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |

Need new circuit for pool filter/pump

Hi,

I am using a 50' 12 guage extension cord to power my pool filter pump I just installed last month. The outlet where I plug the extension cord is an existing outdoor outlet which is on a GFCI circuit, but I want a dedicated circuit from my panel to the pump location. The pump is a 1.5 HP rated at 12 amps, plus a clorine genorator that may pull as much as 3 amps. Both need to be off the same circuit/outlet, as the 115 V pump plugs into the genorator which is a timer for the pump cycle.

In addition to that circuit, I would like a couple other outlets on either side of the yard for landscape lighting, or christmas lights around the fence for accents, etc. But nothing over a few amps on these two outlets combined.

Can all three outlets be on the same new circuit? Can the two lighter duty outlets for the lighting be tapped off the existing GFCI on the back of the house? The biggest question I have, is what are the requirements to go from the panel to the location where the pump is? Can the wire and conduit be above ground around the fence? Or does it all have to be buried, if so how deep, size and type of breaker, etc.

I've done inside wiring, and added circuits to existing and homes or homes under construction a while back... but I don't have a good reference for outside jobs.

The total lenght from the panel to the pump is about 150 feet. I live in north FL.

Comments appreciated, or point me to a good reference. NEC will work, but a good DIY book would be nice too.

Thanks! John

gifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #2

There is much more requirements for pools and spas, you NEED to check out article 680, and don't get lazy and not read where it takes you, you will find out what I mean.

Go to http://www.nfpa.org/freecodes/free_a....asp?id=7008SB and create an account, then view the 2008 document.

Last edited by rgsgww; 09-19-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: adding links
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #3

You need to find an online version of the NEC and look at article 680. This is for professionals only.

Last edited by J. V.; 09-19-2008 at 11:36 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
You need to find an online version of the NEC and look at article 680. .
You mean http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/Ab...&cookie_test=1

Then go to "view the 2008 edition of this document"

Though you need to create an account there before they let you access for free.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote