Need To Know Where To Begin! Coaxial Cable Install. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need to know where to begin! Coaxial cable install.

Hello everybody. I need to know where to begin in order to install at least three cable wall outlets. I went to Home Depot the other day and tried to get some of the material but didn't know what to get. There were splitters that had different ranges (2ghz was the highest one I think) and I wasn't sure what I needed. Basically I want to have the cable outlets to watch (cable of course) and in one room to connect my modem to the internet. I appreciate any tips you guys can give me. I have Cox Communications as my ISP.

Advertisement

Last edited by Jebus; 08-29-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Welcome to the forum Jebus

All good questions....thank God you didn't ask how much.....

First....splitters....most cable service is up to 1Ghz....hopefully, if different, someone will chime in.

I would look at the specs on the splitter and see what the loss through it is. Note, each tap will cause a 3db loss in signal...3db is equal to half power....so, a 2 port splitter will only let through half the power to each port....use a 3-port splitter and your down even more....and that is not taking into account loss through the splitter.

So...only get a splitter with as many ports as you need. Last time I looked at a 2ghz splitter, the loss through it at 2ghz was more than a 1 ghz unit....I doubt the cable freq will go above 1ghz any time soon....that is pretty much the limit of the existing infrastructure....if they go to fiber...different story. But most likely would not effect you in the house.

Coax....RG6.....do not get RG-6Q (quad). There is a thread going on that subject...read it.

Your hardest part will be fishing the coax through the walls. Depending on the age of your house, you may have fireblock in the walls.

You want to pick up wall plates that have the male coax connector on both ends.

When you run your coax, you will install connectors on both ends....the end coming out of the wall will screw to the back side of the wall plate. The other side will go to your TV or cable box.

There is NO advantage to gold plated connectors....

Just make sure you get quality RG6.....personally, I would buy Belden.

Good luck.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

First off thanks for the reply. Second I've also heard about "boosters" to give a stronger signal. Any thoughts on those.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
First off thanks for the reply. Second I've also heard about "boosters" to give a stronger signal. Any thoughts on those.
Another term for them is "Drop Amp"....with just 2-3 taps, you don't need it.....I'm running 4 and I have no issues.

But....that is assuming the cable company stays on top of things and makes sure that signal strenghts are good. My experience at home is that my internet will suffer first if I have a poor signal.

Avoid a booster or drop amp unless you need it.....while they may boost the signal, they can also add noise.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Jebus (08-30-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Welcome to the forum Jebus

All good questions....thank God you didn't ask how much.....

First....splitters....most cable service is up to 1Ghz....hopefully, if different, someone will chime in.

I would look at the specs on the splitter and see what the loss through it is. Note, each tap will cause a 3db loss in signal...3db is equal to half power....so, a 2 port splitter will only let through half the power to each port....use a 3-port splitter and your down even more....and that is not taking into account loss through the splitter.

So...only get a splitter with as many ports as you need. Last time I looked at a 2ghz splitter, the loss through it at 2ghz was more than a 1 ghz unit....I doubt the cable freq will go above 1ghz any time soon....that is pretty much the limit of the existing infrastructure....if they go to fiber...different story. But most likely would not effect you in the house.

Coax....RG6.....do not get RG-6Q (quad). There is a thread going on that subject...read it.

Your hardest part will be fishing the coax through the walls. Depending on the age of your house, you may have fireblock in the walls.

You want to pick up wall plates that have the male coax connector on both ends.

When you run your coax, you will install connectors on both ends....the end coming out of the wall will screw to the back side of the wall plate. The other side will go to your TV or cable box.

There is NO advantage to gold plated connectors....

Just make sure you get quality RG6.....personally, I would buy Belden.

Good luck.
Pretty much spot on. Although I'd like to make a couple of clarifications:

- A tap and a splitter are different things. A splitter equally splits signal to each port, with no bias. A tap is a biased splitter, so to speak. Usually, for in-house applications, a tap will have three ports. One is input, one is "through/tap" which loses a very minimal amount of signal, and then you have the down leg ( the port that will feed a wall plate, which is losing much more signal than the through leg, but that's the way it's designed). You usually won't see in-house taps, unless the house is loop wired, which is a big no-no in this day and age.

Anyways, for splitter losses: keep it minimum. Have only 4 lines? Use no larger than a 4 way splitter, of course. Look for splitters that have their backs soldered, rather than glued.

On a side note, regarding 3-way splitters: some 3-way splitters are biased, some are balanced. On the splitters we use, one leg is considered the "hot leg", which is knocking the signal down only by half. The other two ports are getting signal knocked down by 1/4. This is usually labeled on the ports.

Also keep in mind, that cable services work within a signal range. Basically, as long as you're in the specified range, you're going to get the same service quality no matter if you're on the lower end. The easiest way to visualize this is with liquid water: water will be in its liquid form between 32 and 212 degrees. If it's 33, it's still liquid. If it's 211, it's still liquid. Catch my drift?

Don't use in-house amps. Just don't. Too much signal is a bad thing. Amplifiers also amplify noise. If you have phone service through cable, and you're running it off an amp, guess what happens when the power goes out? The amp will go out, signal won't pass through, and then your phone won't work even if the EMTA is in battery backup mode.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonglebeak For This Useful Post:
Jebus (08-30-2012), zappa (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #6

I feel more comfortable doing this. Thanks you guys! I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,166

Heres a good 3 minute video on splitters:

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
Jebus (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 154

One thing I didn't see mention here. If you are going to take the time and trouble to do, don't split a line in the attic or basement. If you need 2 drops to a location, run 2 lines. It's call homerun. Each line goes back to the source. A little more work, but worth it IMHO.
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonglebeak View Post
Pretty much spot on. Although I'd like to make a couple of clarifications:
Hey Tonglebeak I have been following your posts. I wish all cable guys were even half as sharp as you. Good job man!

Advertisement

zappa is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable tv , install