Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Share |

Need info on replacing 8 recessed lights in bathroom

Hi Everyone,

I am working on an insulation project and it turns out that the current recessed lights in my bathroom are all non-IC rated, and of course the previous homeowner has insulation near the lights. I cannot get to the lights from the attic (if you really want to open that can of worms with me, look at this other DIYchatroom post I have going LINK).

I would like to replace all 8 lights, I pulled one of them out from below, so I think I can rewire them all. I have a few questions about installing new cans however.

First, it seems like all of the lights are wired together with 12/2 yellow wire. They tie into a 15 amp circuit that controls the following:
  • 8 recessed lights- currently 3" halogen lights
  • 3 pendant lights
  • 5 ceiling lights (using CFLs)
  • 7 outlets (only 1 or 2 are really used)

I am having trouble finding 3" replacement lights that are IC rated, with the exception of LEDs which run about $50 a piece! It seems like I will have to go up to 4" or 5" lights so that I can find IC rated, remodel ones. I would prefer they are airtight as well since they connect to the attic. I will be insulating above them.

I see lights such as Elco Lighting 5" Line Voltage Remodel IC Air Tight Housing for $10 each. They are 75 watt max housings, but I plan to use CFLs, so most likely I will not go up to 75 watts. Do I need special housing for CFL, or can I use one like this?

Since this is in a bathroom (2 directly above the shower), do I need to get the shower trim to keep moisture out? Does the trim kit company have to match the light housing, or are they interchangeable? The ceiling is slightly cathedral\sloped, and the lights are about 16" above the shower. Something like this trim LINK.

Can I just pull out the old ones, cut the hole to 5", rewire, put up into the ceiling, attach trim, insulate on top in the attic.

I am comfortable rewiring lights, I have done many outlets and lights.

Thanks so much!
Ohm

Last edited by OhmZoned; 11-06-2011 at 07:38 PM.
OhmZoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Computer Nerd + DIY'er

Need info on replacing 8 recessed lights in bathroom

I wound up ordering the following online:

Elco EL5RICA - 5" 75W Single Light Airtight IC Remodel Housing ($10 each)
Elco EL513W - 5" Shower Trim with Fresnel Lens ($12 each)

Now I just have to wait for them to show up in the mail and I will rewire them. That being said, looks like I need to get a 5.5 holesaw or something to widen the 3" holes that currently exist. I will be using CFLs in these fixtures as well, then insulating on top.

OhmZoned is offline   Reply With Quote