Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #1

Share |

Need ideas to power Christmas lights

Ok the wife is getting tired of running 6 extension cords out various windows in December to power my lights.
So I am looking for ideas for temporary power cord(s) about 75 feet long.
Now I will prob. call someone to do this but would like to have some idea before I do that.
This year I will prob. pull about 40 amps max at any given time but that will prob. increase in the coming years.
I have a pushmatic box in the house with a 150 amp main and empty slots.
My travel trailer has a 110 volt 30 amp plug so I thought about putting in a couple of single 30 amp breakers and a couple of 30 amp travel trailer sockets on the outside of the house then making up some extension cords with some duplex plugs on the end.
Or I was wonder if I could put in a 40 or 50 amp 220 breaker with a socket outside then run the cord out to the display and split it into two 110 circuits.
Any ideas, thoughts
Jerry

jerryinmich57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryinmich57 View Post
Ok the wife is getting tired of running 6 extension cords out various windows in December to power my lights.
So I am looking for ideas for temporary power cord(s) about 75 feet long.
Now I will prob. call someone to do this but would like to have some idea before I do that.
This year I will prob. pull about 40 amps max at any given time but that will prob. increase in the coming years.
I have a pushmatic box in the house with a 150 amp main and empty slots.
My travel trailer has a 110 volt 30 amp plug so I thought about putting in a couple of single 30 amp breakers and a couple of 30 amp travel trailer sockets on the outside of the house then making up some extension cords with some duplex plugs on the end.
Or I was wonder if I could put in a 40 or 50 amp 220 breaker with a socket outside then run the cord out to the display and split it into two 110 circuits.
Any ideas, thoughts
Jerry
I would invest in dedicated receptacles where you need them... If it is easier to install a weather proof panel outside and branch off of that, that would be the best solution for future requirements.

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply stickboy1375 If I understand you right the only problem is that this is located in the middle of my front yard so "dedicated receptacles" where I need them may be a problem, Like I said if I understand what you meant if not I apologize.
Jerry
jerryinmich57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

build a statue of some kind in the yard, put an out door box on it, recessed in it. and put some dedicated recepticals in the yard.
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote