Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #1

Share |

need ideas cool apartment effeciently

Issue, hot humid weather in Wisconsin sucks during summer, we live in a 450sq foot apartment, only can use window mount a/c. Older apartment with 15 amp circuits. both bedrooms and bathroom on one circuit, we have a 10,000 btu window unit but due to my occupation i run a few computers all the time (400watts of usage at any given moment) the a/c will trip the breaker about once a week. im afraid the only option might be a lower powered A/C but we already have problems keeping cool with the current unit. This is a low income unit so moving is not really an option and the apartment building is about 40yrs old without any renovations besides some cheap windows that let water get into the window sill and rot away.

these apartments have alot of issues including old pipes, screwed up always on heat (80deg temps during winter) and management that dont want to spend any money.

Im trying to see what i can do to cool this place off without tripping the breaker, Anyways of making the current A/C unit use less electricity, reduce how much heat enters the apartment (we can feel drafts from the floor).

jjjacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Electrical Enthusiast

Have you considered moving some of your computers to a different circuit in the apartment?

What are the wattage/amperage specs on the a/c unit?

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

You don't have your location on your profile, so I can't tell what kind of climate you live in. If it's a hot dry climate, you could use evaporative cooling either in addition to or instead of the air conditioning. Also can use water mist on the AC condenser to reduce compressor load.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Have you thought of adding a portable dehumidifier?
usair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
You don't have your location on your profile, so I can't tell what kind of climate you live in. If it's a hot dry climate, you could use evaporative cooling either in addition to or instead of the air conditioning. Also can use water mist on the AC condenser to reduce compressor load.
From the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjacer View Post
Issue, hot humid weather in Wisconsin sucks during summer, .....
Me thinx the OP is in Wisconsin?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

as i said in my first post its Wisconsin weather, meaning high humidity, so evap cooling wont work, as for moving pc equipment, there is only one circuit for 3 rooms so im limited there,

however we do have a dehumidifier so that helps a little, although that ties up the living-room circuit which still means the a/c is stuck on the other circuit.

hopefully this summer isnt as bad as last year and we are trying the a/c in a different bedroom this year as it will not have to blow around corners to get to most of the apartment (the last few years it was in a room that had the window in opposite corner of door, so it took a bit to get the colder air into the other rooms.

I just wish i had more power to work with, it sucks when a 1000watt microwave on its own circuit has issues due to low power.

also after looking up the a/c specs it is 8.5amp
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2033933...a#.UZbKgLUe3ng
Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #7
Electrical Enthusiast

What exactly is wrong with your microwave?
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_in_rure View Post
What exactly is wrong with your microwave?
a few times it will make a lower than normal sound while nuking food, and the light in it dims (has done it to multiple microwaves)

although hasnt happened as much after replacing the gfci outlet but it does happen every so often