Need Hot Tub Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Need Hot Tub Help

We just got a used hot tub. It ran fine where we purchased it but since we got it home, it has not run. We installed a new breaker for the hot tub and an GFCI outlet outside. The hot tub inself has a GFCI installed on it. If we plug it into the GFCI outlet it runs for a few seconds and either trips the circuit inside or the hot tub. Is it necessary to have a GFCI outlet outisde if the hot tub has one? We are thinking that this may be our problem..redundancy. Can we install a regular outlet outside instead of the GFCI outlet? When we plug it into a regular outlet it runs. We want to make sure that this is safe before proceeding.

Advertisement

schorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Need Hot Tub Help

Its not safe. There is a fault that could cause electric shock. First off, how is the tub powered?

Advertisement

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Need Hot Tub Help

Did you install the tub yourself? Who did the wiring? Redundant GFCI's should not be an issue. You say the GFCI receptacle trips and the breaker trips at the panel, right. If it is intermittent tripping it could signal non-compliant wiring or a defect in the tub itself. Just because it worked before means nothing.

If this tub was installed correctly, I would suspect the hot tub is the issue. I would call a service tech, preferably one familiar with your particular model tub.

Installing hot tubs and pools are not a DIY project. This is matter of life and death. Tripping GFCI's are doing their job of protecting you and your family. Something is not right with the tub or installation. Get some professional help.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. V. For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (04-28-2012), k_buz (04-28-2012), Ravenworks (04-28-2012)
Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
DIY'er

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by schorel View Post
We just got a used hot tub. It ran fine where we purchased it but since we got it home, it has not run. We installed a new breaker for the hot tub and an GFCI outlet outside. The hot tub inself has a GFCI installed on it. If we plug it into the GFCI outlet it runs for a few seconds and either trips the circuit inside or the hot tub. Is it necessary to have a GFCI outlet outisde if the hot tub has one? We are thinking that this may be our problem..redundancy. Can we install a regular outlet outside instead of the GFCI outlet? When we plug it into a regular outlet it runs. We want to make sure that this is safe before proceeding.
Something is wrong, bypassing it is not the answer. What does the manufacturer call for in terms of electrical power? Is this one of those small tubs designed to plug into any standard 120v, 20A outlet?, if so there maybe some troubleshooting you can do. If this is a larger unit, then there are many more requirements and factors involved in a safe setup.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
From whom did you purchase this unit? A dealer or someone else? There is no guarantee that this was installed correctly before, just because it was "working fine".

Is the circuit breaker a standard breaker or a GFCI?

If it is tripping a GFCI, there is a problem, either with the circuit, or the tub itself.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
Most hot tubs are not "plug and play". They require higher amperage circuits and special considerations.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Cruising into the sunset

Need Hot Tub Help

You say you plugged the hot tub into a GFCI outlet. This must be something like a portable unit, right? So all you have is one 15 or 20 amp plug to power it up?

I've had problems with plugging in a GFCI protected appliance into a GFCI device. Years ago I bought an electric pressure washer. Every time I plugged it into the exterior GFCI receptacle, the PW tripped it. When I took the GFCI plug and connected that to a receptacle inside (not GFCI protected) no problem. Everyone I talked to at work said you can't connect one GFCI device to another because one will trip the other. Maybe technology has improved since then but I wouldn't automatically rule it out.

If I was troubleshooting this I would first have to eliminate the the redundant GFCI situation as the problem before assuming anything else.

There's a hot tub forum you could go to and ask members there. Google 'what's the best hot tub" and look for the forum. There are hot tub technicians who are members there. Make sure you provide your make, model and year it was made with the other information.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Master Electrician

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
You say you plugged the hot tub into a GFCI outlet. This must be something like a portable unit, right? So all you have is one 15 or 20 amp plug to power it up?

I've had problems with plugging in a GFCI protected appliance into a GFCI device. Years ago I bought an electric pressure washer. Every time I plugged it into the exterior GFCI receptacle, the PW tripped it. When I took the GFCI plug and connected that to a receptacle inside (not GFCI protected) no problem. Everyone I talked to at work said you can't connect one GFCI device to another because one will trip the other. Maybe technology has improved since then but I wouldn't automatically rule it out.

If I was troubleshooting this I would first have to eliminate the the redundant GFCI situation as the problem before assuming anything else.

There's a hot tub forum you could go to and ask members there. Google 'what's the best hot tub" and look for the forum. There are hot tub technicians who are members there. Make sure you provide your make, model and year it was made with the other information.
Funny, I've never had problems with redundant GFCI's. As an example, the built in GFCI of my hair dryer works just fine plugged into a GFCI recptacle.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
Cruising into the sunset

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Funny, I've never had problems with redundant GFCI's. As an example, the built in GFCI of my hair dryer works just fine plugged into a GFCI recptacle.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to about technology improving. My electric pressure washer is probably close to 20 years old. The OP never said how old the hot tub is. Gotta cover all the bases when troubleshooting and do the easiest ones first.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Need Hot Tub Help

3 year old thread guys!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
3 year old thread guys!
Thanks, totally missed that. Why do people keep resurrecting them?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Thanks, totally missed that. Why do people keep resurrecting them?
I think you did it!!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
I=E/R

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I think you did it!!
Maybe brric was searching for help wiring a hot tub
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
Master Electrician

Need Hot Tub Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
Maybe brric was searching for help wiring a hot tub
Somehow it got posted before I answered it. Oh well............
Old 04-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
Cruising into the sunset

Need Hot Tub Help

In 2009 there was a HUGE problem with redundant GFCIs.

Advertisement

Tags
hot tubs