Need Help Wiring Motor Control For Class. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need help Wiring motor control for class.

Hi guys thanks in advance. Tonight in class we wires a three pahse sqare d motor control with a start stop switch. Not a problem. We did it so fast the teacher told us to rip it out and he gave us a cutler hammer a10bg0 nema type 0 controller with built in HOA control. On the auto function we need to wire in a timer. So my question is how do I figure out where each of the buttons goes to on the control? All the switched are sealed so i dont think i can continuity test them to see where they go. I am so pissed. We get penalized and handed a 30 year old starter with no directions and he wont give us any help. It is a 120v starter and the timer is a 208v but that is another story.

Advertisement

Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I would ONLY connect this if I *fully* understood how it should be connected...

Which means I had the proper documentation explaining its operation, or a schematic diagram or data sheet from the manufacturer of the product(s), or installation instructions for that specific configuration using those specific products.

Or be able to use an ohm meter or some other testing device to determine how it works.

With that said, I would search the internet for documentation on this, contact the manufacturers of the products, etc.

If I could not find any documentation and could not ohm out the circuits, I would say I can't safely connect this because I don't know how - I don't know how it works. And if I were your instructor, I would give you an A for saying that!

With that said, I searched google.com for the words...
HOA control
...and found this which may or may not be helpful...
http://www.lesman.com/unleashd/techn...oa_station.pdf

Then from that I learned that HOA means Hand-Off-Auto. So next I searched google.com for the words...
Hand-Off-Auto control
...and found all this stuff...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=Hand-...3b11f867dbecea

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,008

Do you have anyone at work that understands control circuits? Maybe you could discuss this and go over your drawings with someone at lunch or on breaks? If you can wire a simple stop/start you can include the timer and the HOA switch.
Are you guys drawing the circuits BEFORE you wire them. If not, you are doing this backwards and your instructor needs to learn a few things before he tries to teach this subject.

Control circuits are designed and operationally tested on paper before they ever introduced to any equipment. In fact, the drawing is how you accomplish your material list in the field. Make it work on paper. It will work in the application.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,080

The auto position of a starter, by its very nature, requires some sort of remote control. It can be a timer, a switch, a relay contact, or any other type of contact that closes when the motor is supposed to start.

Look for two terminals, one might be on the H-O-A switch, and the other might be the control hot. It's been too long since I've connected a C/H starter, and I can't remember where the terminals are, but they'll be there somewhere.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
I can't remember where the terminals are, but they'll be there somewhere.

Rob
and if Rob says so, you can bet those terminals are there somewhere

Not quite what we usually see from you MM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

With CH starter. yeah there is a termail that go from the HOA switch.

And there is three leads or connection point one is from line supply or from O/L's the second lead will go the pressure switch or relay or whatever it need to get the motour start up and the third lead will be a direct connection to either coil or NC concat. { just remember the O/L's always be in series in line side as you can understand the O/L function }

For that CH starter there are few ways it can be done but I do not have the setchmatic for it but draw it from the paper first before you do the actual connection

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

If we just tell him which terminals to use we are doing him a disservice. Remember he's in class, not on a breakdown. I started to draw it for him yesterday and quit. Partly because it would have taken a long time using Windows Paint and secondly he should be drawing it and getting feedback from his instructors and classmates. How else will he learn how.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #8

I have a drawing that he gave to the class which I understand perfectly. I knew exactly what had to be done and how to do it. Originally we wired up a square d 3 phase 208 starter. But since we got it done so fast he told us to rip the square d out and he gave us this cutler hammer starter. looks like it is from 1960. But the only difference is that the HOA controls are built into this model. As apposed to if he would have let us use the square d there wouldnt be a problem because we would have used an external HOA control. I had a hard enough time trying to understand the square d. I basically had to teach myself the motor starter because all he did was sit there and do nothing. He wouldnt tell us anything. So because I actually on my own time taught myself we get penalized.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

so, help us out a bit.

how many terminals are there on the HOA switch? is it obvious what they lead to? do you have a continuity tester to determine which terminals make when you put the switch in any given position?

better yet:

got a picture?
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #10

I do have a continuity tester. I will have a picture on Tuesday night after my class.

Advertisement