Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

need help wiring a massage chair - newb

I am trying to get this massage chair in working order again and I have no power cord for it. Can I just try splicing in a wire and plug it in or does it need to have some sort of power adapter on it?

Here you can see the plug for the cord and the white wire, which has no ground apparently, that goes from the plug to the box below.

Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

You would be wise to check with mfg. of chair; one model on their site uses a wall wart to reduce 120v to 12 v dc. You could fry it/you if you try house current.
go to: http://www.tranquilease.com/Catalog/Home-Comfort

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 0

As stated above, that certainly looks like a low voltage (less than 50) power plug. Unfortunately, there's absolutely no standard whatsoever as to what voltage/current/polarity/AC/DC or anything else they are. The only 'standard' is they're never used for anything higher than 50 volts.

You certainly can make up your own adapter (I've done hundreds), but you'll need to know if it's AC or DC, polarity (+ and -) if DC, voltage, current, and size of the plug. These plugs come in a myriad of different sizes, usually listed as outside diameter/inside diameter. For example, a 5.5X2.1 is 5.5MM outside diameter and 2.1MM inside diameter.

It's really difficult to tell, but that one looks like it could be 5.0X2.5 I could easily be way off though.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote