Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help wiring a light switch

Hi,
I am putting a light fixture in my daughter's bedroom. Right now, a single pole switch is working a receptacle. There is no fixture as of now. I pulled out the light switch and the receptacle that it works. The light switch has one red and two black wires. The receptacle has one red and three black wires.

How would I tie into the light switch to run wires to a fixture? Can I make the receptacle permanetly hot?

Thanks in advance!

yucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Are all 3 wires on your switch? If its a single pole switch, you should only have 2 wires on the switch(most common is 2 blacks). Is your entire plug switched, or just Half of it?

Rochsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucko View Post
Hi,
I am putting a light fixture in my daughter's bedroom. Right now, a single pole switch is working a receptacle. There is no fixture as of now. I pulled out the light switch and the receptacle that it works. The light switch has one red and two black wires. The receptacle has one red and three black wires.

How would I tie into the light switch to run wires to a fixture? Can I make the receptacle permanetly hot?

Thanks in advance!
The receptacle is split, meaning one half is controlled by the switch (red wire) and the other half is constantly hot (black). THere is a small brass jumper on the hot side of the receptacle that has been cut. If you want the device to be hot all the time you there are a couple of ways to accomplish it.

1. Remove red wire from device and replace device only connecting the blacks to the receptacle. Cap the red wire. In the switch remove the red wire and cap it off. Take a new switch leg from the switch up to the ceiling box, connect all the whites wires together and connect the new black to the terminal that the red was connected to.

2. Leave the receptacle alone. Take the red wire off the switch and pigtail it with the blacks and connect them back on the switch. Then run new switch leg and connect as mentioned in #1.

3. Leave the receptacle alone. Install a switch-over-switch. Connect the red to the bottom switch, the new switch leg to the top switch, and the existing blacks to the supply side of the switch. This way will retain the switch controlled recptacle and provide a new switch for the ceiling box.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochsolid View Post
Are all 3 wires on your switch? If its a single pole switch, you should only have 2 wires on the switch(most common is 2 blacks). Is your entire plug switched, or just Half of it?
The switch is being used to splice the two blacks instead of a wire nut and a pigtail. The blacks are power in and power out to another part of the circuit.

The red is a switched hot.