Need Help Wiring Landscaping Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help wiring Landscaping lighting

My wife and I got Landscape lighting for Christmas. It seems easy to do but I have one question.....

Each light unit comes with 2 connectors, A black and a gray one. Once I hook up the 2 wires to the transformer A & B connection - where does the black/gray connector pierce through, A or B vice versa?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Happy Holidays!

Advertisement

TTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

These kit come with several types of connectors. None are good long term, from my experience. If the type you have are as I envision, the grey and black clamp around the cable. The two connector pieces have little tabs that interface with each other. Look for metal spikes that penetrate the cable insulation. There should be two spikes. Make sure one spike goes into each of the two wire conductors. The insulation is pretty hard, also, so it often takes a pretty strong squeeze to make these work.

When you have more time and the weather improves, you may want to consider soldering these connections, then enclosing them in some type of water-proof seal. I have used wire nuts with silicone and this seems to work well.

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTran View Post
My wife and I got Landscape lighting for Christmas. It seems easy to do but I have one question.....

Each light unit comes with 2 connectors, A black and a gray one. Once I hook up the 2 wires to the transformer A & B connection - where does the black/gray connector pierce through, A or B vice versa?

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Happy Holidays!
Either way - the polarity does not matter.

Here is a brief write up - http://www.ehow.com/how_5012892_hook...ge-lights.html

As for weather proofing the connections, it's a good idea. I live is San Diego, not much rain, and have had good luck with the standard vampire connections having several installed for a few years. If I were where there was more rain and/or snow, I would expect to have more issues. Wrapping and encasing the vampire connectors with a good plastic tape would probably go a long way towards connection integrity and longevity.

Last edited by vsheetz; 12-25-2009 at 03:11 PM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote