Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Stairguy

Share |

need help with wire configuration

I have a bedroom with no type of overhead lights, no closet light and no ceiling fan. There was one outlet on the wall that had the upper part controlled by a switch by the doorway. What iv'e done is cut a hole in ceiling to add a box and ran 14-3 to the existing wall switch ( old single box was removed and added a 3 gang box.) I cut hole in ceiling and added a light in the closet and ran 14-2 to the 3 gang box. The single box that was there had only one cable going to it, which I believe goes up and over to the recepticle on the other side of the room. Im a little confused as to what to do with the wall receptacle. It is the 1st and 2nd pic. It has 3 cables coming in. Im not sure if this pic is good enough to help with what i need to do to make this box live on top and bottom yet still send power to the wall switch.
3rd pic shows the new switch box. left cable is what i believe i will get my live feed from, it goes to the receptacle. Middle cable is the 14-3 for fan and light, and the 3rd is the 14-2 for the closet light. I also am a little unsure of exactly what i need to do here.
Hope you guys can walk me through this, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
need help with wire configuration-recep2.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Millertyme; 05-26-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #2

Miller,

Good progress so far.

The receptacle has 3 cables (each cable has a black, white and bare ground wire coming in):
1. 1 cable provides power to the receptacle box (use a voltage tester or multimeter to test which one)
2. 1 cable probably feeds other downstream receptacles (it will be the cable remaining once you determine 1 and 3)
3. one is a switch loop to the receptacle switch - in this case both black and white are hots
(this cable is the one with the white wire NOT connected to the receptacle)
what you want to do:
1. Cable 1 should come in as it currently does
2. Cable 2 will continue to perform its function
3. Cable 3 will become the power cable to the switch (the white will become a neutral)

here are the steps I would take:
1. pigtail the 3 whites at the receptacle box and run a 4th white to the receptacle itself
2. pigtail the 3 blacks and either buy a new receptacle and run one back wire to it or you will need to run a black wire to each screw [the tab that connects the 2 hot terminals on the receptacle has been broken off to allow for the top to be switched and the bottom to be always hot)
3. pigtail the grounds and run i wire to the receptacle grounding screw and one to the box grounding screw if the box is metal
STEPS 1 AND 2 WILL WIRE THE RECEPTACLE AS ALWAYS HOT AND PROVIDE POWER TO THE WALL SWITCH

3. i assume you want to control the fan and light separately - hence the 3 gang box
4. at the switch, pigtail all the white wires together
5. at the switch pigtail all the grounds and run a ground to the screw on each switch and to the box if metal
6. connect the incoming (from the receptacle) hot to a pigtail and run a black wire from this pigtail to the top or bottom of each switch (be consistent)
7. connect the black wire to the closet light to the other screw on the switch for that, and connectg the black and red from the wire to the ceiling box to the other 2 switches (decide now which color wire and switch you want to control the light and which to control the fan
STEPS 3 - 7 PREPARE YOUR SWITCH FOR USE

4. at the closet light box, connect the wires as described in the manufacturers instructions - there are specific codes about what lighrs ma be used in closets and distances etc. if the box is metal connect to the ground pigtail

5. at the ceiling light box, connect per the manufactuers instructions remembering which wire is for the light and which for the fan. make sure this is a fan approved box and if metal connect to the ground pigtail

by the way this circuit should be arc fault protected

ENJOY

Last edited by kevinp22; 05-26-2012 at 08:16 PM.
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Stairguy

Thanks for the detailed reply. this is exactly what I was looking for. I will have at it tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #4

no problem. write back if you need help or if it worked.

remember to turn off the circuit when working on it, use wire nuts for all pigtail connections and work safe
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Stairguy

Thanks Kevin. all works fine. did exactly as you described and all worked fine first try. Thanks for taking the time to help me
Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

woo hoo. made my day.