Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need help with a weird 3 way switch (with handy diagram!)

Hi! I'm new here. I hope you guys can help me with my little problem.

We've just purchased a bank-owned property that was heavily vandalized with lots of wires randomly cut. Most of the house will need to be completely rewired, but the basement wiring appears to be intact and so I'd like to salvage it if possible. (The house was built in 1995.)

So, the wiring comes from the main panel, goes to two light fixtures with regular 14/2, then enters a ceiling box for a smoke detector. From there, it goes to a light at the bottom of the basement stairs (switched at top and bottom of stairs), and then from that light on to two more lights on the other side of the basement.

When I turned that breaker on, the first two lights worked, but no power to the stair light. So I take down the fixture, and find the hot coming into the box from the smoke detector is not connected to anything, it's simply capped off. Other wires are bundled, the whole thing looks like it was done professionally, and does not look like it was ever messed with. But, obviously none of the lights had power past the smoke detector.

Dunno what that's about. Anyway.

Is there a way to make the three way switches turn on all the lights in the basement? Baring that, can I at least get them to work the stair light?

Thank you!

raen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Need help with a weird 3 way switch (with handy diagram!)-untitled.jpg

Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #3

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

OK, I tried that (and every other configuration I could think of) and can't get power to either switch. With the above configuration, I don't get power to the light, either, but I do get power to both lights down line.

I've been testing the switches with a multimeter every time I change the wires, and have never gotten power. I'm about to go crazy. All the wire is exposed and is intact. Any ideas?