Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 AM   #1

Share |

Need help with water pump power

Hi I'm new to this forum and was looking for some answers to a water pump that I need to hook power up to. I asked all around my town and nobody could help me get what I need. I got a 12v dc Shurflo pump that I need to be able to plug into a wall socket. I have no idea what I need to get to do this and any advice would help. Here is a pic of the pump I have. Right now, I tried hooking up a car charger and plugged the charger into an adapter that changes it to ac power. It powered on a couple of times. Then after that it would shut off and the only way that I could get it to start again was by unplugging it and plugging it back in. I don't know much about electrical, but I'm pretty sure that this is dangerous. Any help with pics would help me alot. I need dummy proof instructions Thanks.

Also here is a link to the actual manufacturer of the pump
http://www.shurflo.com/pages/Marine/...-Volt-Std.html

Marc10edora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:32 AM   #2

oh yeah,
it also says use 10 amp fuse on the bottom of the last pic. I need a good and cheap way to power this pump up.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:47 AM   #3

This is for a boat or RV? What you need is an ac to dc power supply. Take a look at www.wallindustries.com They have several to choose from [not cheap], however you might want to contact Shurflo first to see if they can tell you how much wattage the motor draws. You can't just use Ohm's Law for resistance loads to calculate the wattage because a motor is an inductive load. It might be cheaper to get a acv pump.
jhd1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #4

This is made for an rv. But I need to be able to use it in my home. So I want to try and connect a power cord to it so I am able to plug it into a standard wall socket. I'm going to use it to run a misting system for my reptile cage.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

You need a pretty serious power supply, at least as far as "wall wart" transformers go. I would go with at least 1000mA.

Then you have to somehow convert from the output plug of the transformer to the exposed leads of the motor.
Cutting, splicing, and heat shrinking would work but will probably void and warranty and UL listing.
The polarity will be critical to make the motor run in the right direction.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #6

I'm not worried with the warranty of the pump, since I bought it on ebay for $30. It's a $100 and up pump. So I got a good deal. I might check ebay again for a powerful transformer. What exactly should I be looking for when I look on ebay? What is the normal price for it?
Old 05-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

What you have there is as "on demand" 12 volt dc pump. Where you see the red wires connected is the pressure switch. The way this thing works is when you turn on the water supply the drop in pressure closes the contacts in the pressure switch and the pumps comes on. When you turn off the water supply the pressure builds to the high limit and the pressure switch opens shutting the pump off. In short.... water on pump on...water off pump off. Generally these are hooked up to batteries, that are then charged by a charger. A small lawn tractor battery will run one intermitantly for several hours. A deep cycle battery will run one for days intermitantly. I used one of these exact pumps to supply water to a shower head on play stage for the local high school. I simply wired to a waterproof toggle switch and used an in-line 10 amp fuse in the hot lead. Ground wire back to the battery. I used a trash barrel for the water reservoir. Simply place the battery on an automatic battery maintainer type charger.
The problem I see is this type pump does not come on by switching it on and off electrically. Some type of auto switch to turn the mister on will be required unless your going to do it manually. Also small pressure releases will cause the pump to pulsate rapidly as the pressure switch opens and closes. There is a very small adjustment range to compensate for this problem. The pump is meant for RV showers and sink faucetts. You can give it a try but I suspect that the pump is going to pulsate rapidly in the application you have chosen.

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
You need a pretty serious power supply, at least as far as "wall wart" transformers go. I would go with at least 1000mA.

Then you have to somehow convert from the output plug of the transformer to the exposed leads of the motor.
Cutting, splicing, and heat shrinking would work but will probably void and warranty and UL listing.
The polarity will be critical to make the motor run in the right direction.
1000ma is only 1 amp. Not big enough. You need a 10amp power supply. A 10 amp battery charger should work for it.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Ummmmm, oh yeah. Sorry, "My bad" as the kiddies say.
I'm not sure how I came up with that one.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Ummmmm, oh yeah. Sorry, "My bad" as the kiddies say.
I'm not sure how I came up with that one.
lol...almost caused me to start a fire in my house. just kidding. So 10 amps is the way to go? How about this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SOLAR...17212446QQrdZ1

I have the same exact one sitting in my garage. Will it be safe to use as a permanent thing? I was planning on plugging it into a timer so it could go on/off when I want to. What do you think? I hooked it up to the pump and it works. But I just want to double check that it won't blow up when I'm not home.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #11

Intresting set up Stubbie,
Sounds like it can work for me. Do you, by chance, have any pics of that set up? I'm kind of electrical illiterate and need lots of pics. I tried using a car charger that connects to an adapter plug and it worked the first couple of times. Then It stopped. I took a look at it and saw that the adapter eneded up melting the car charger. Scared the crap outa me. I'm lucky it didn't catch on fire. I found out later that it was because the adapters limit was 1 amp and I was running on 10 amps. The pump did cause the mist to pulse rapidly. I don't mind if it does that, as long as it can shoot out mist/water for fifteen minutes at a time.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10edora View Post
So I want to try and connect a power cord to it so I am able to plug it into a standard wall socket.
The plugs in your house operate at 120volts AC. Your pump needs 12volts DC. You have no choice but to buy a DC power supply... like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PYRAM...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10edora View Post
I'm going to use it to run a misting system for my reptile cage.
You do realize that pump puts out 2.8 gallons a minute? You'll be drowning those lizards. And if you restrict the pump's flow with a nozzle, you will likely burn it up...

Here's an actual reptile misting system, not a shower like you're water pump will produce... this device will actually fog the cage, and its the same price as the pump you bought...
http://cgi.ebay.com/MIST-MAKER-MASTE...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by elementx440; 05-11-2007 at 09:18 PM.
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #13

I actually have that transformer on my ebay watch list. I just wasn't sure if it would work or not. Thanks for looking out. I'm aware that the pump puts out alot of water. That's why my cage has a drain on the bottom. My lizard will only drink when it rains. So I have to let the misters go on for 15-20 minute sessions and 3 times a day. I have 7 misting nozzles hooked up to the pump. Maybe that will help with releasing all that pressure.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #14
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Marc what I'm trying to say is that demand for water is what turns the pump on. The toggle switch simply provides switched power to the pump, it doesnt turn the pump on and off once the shut-off pressure is reached. Something will have to close off the water release on the load side of the pump in order to build pressure so the pump will shut off on call from the pressure switch.

HMMMM..... you could put the electrical on a timer (like an intermatic type) and it would run for as long as the timer lets it...then shut off when the timer calls for it. This would take the pressure switch out of the equation but wouldnt stop the pulsating pump.

I have pictures but I'll have to locate them. Basically I built a platform to hold the pump at about six inches above water level in the plastic 40 gal wheeled trash can. Ran a 14 awg from the positive of the battery or a dc power supply to an in-line 10 amp fuse holder (auto parts has them) then to a toggle switch and then on to the pump (red wire). Then just run a wire from the remaining pump wire ( the black one) to the negative of the battery or power supply.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 05-12-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #15

What if I use a 10 amp bridge rectifier to convert it? Then hook that up to an 8 amp fuse. What do you think?