Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Need HELP w/ wiring project

I've recently install 4 IC recessed lights in our attic. And ran a wire down to an existing light switch. The light switch was previously wired to the top plug of an outlet (we had to plug a lamp into the outlet for the switch to control it).

So, I've wired everything up using 14/2 bx wire. I've also purchased a dual dimmer switch, I've broken the room down into two lighting sections, the bottom dimmer switch is to control lights #1 & 2, while the top dimmer is to control lights #3 & 4.

The problem is, it doesn't work.

Not sure exactly what I've done wrong but I'm including a diagram hoping someone might point me in the right direction.

And just as a side note, I tried the existing wiring with a regular light switch as well (just hooked up to lights 1 & 2) to eliminate the possibility that the dimmer switch is bad. I also replaced the light bulbs to ensure that wasn't the problem.

Really appreciate anyone's advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Need HELP w/ wiring project-wiring_diagram.jpg  

Last edited by scopus1972; 09-11-2008 at 09:46 PM.
scopus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

You don't have a neutral going to the lights, and you need 14/3 between the dimmers and the junction box.

The white from the receptacle should be joined to the white from the 14/3 at the dimmer and continue to the junction box where it is attached to the whites from the lights.

The black from the receptacle would connect to the hot in screw of the dimmers. The red and black of the 14/3 would connect to the switched screws of the dimmer. At the junction box, the red and black would connect to the switched hot wires of each light string.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick response and help, really appreciate it.
scopus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 PM   #4

Might be an interpretive issue on my part, but it appears in the drawing that the neutral and the phase (black) are hooked together in the junction box. That isn't good.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #5
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Might be an interpretive issue on my part, but it appears in the drawing that the neutral and the phase (black) are hooked together in the junction box. That isn't good.
No you are correct- it looks pretty clear in that drawing that the connection from switches to junction are missing a hot conductor-

The white whire was used where it shouldn't-
All neutrals are to connect together from the supply thru to the lights, just like the ground does.