DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Need help using GENERATOR to bring power to cabin (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/need-help-using-generator-bring-power-cabin-163592/)

purplegrapes 11-16-2012 10:34 PM

Need help using GENERATOR to bring power to cabin
 
I have a 8000/6500 Honda generator that I am using to power our water pump and the cabin.

I have an extension cord with four wires and a power line that runs to the cabin with three wires. And I wired those three wires to the four wire extension cord, then plugged that into the generator on the side that says 120 volt and 240 volt.

Everything in the cabin came on as I turned on the switches. Then in the closet of the only bedroom, one of the lights flickered and went out. Then you could hear some zapping noise, and everything went out. But there was no breaker kicked anywhere. ??? And the generator was running harder than it should have been.

What did I do wrong? What do I do next? :eek::eek:

joed 11-16-2012 11:03 PM

Without knowing how you connected the wires we can't say. Sounds like it could have been a wiring issue in the bedroom, possibly a loose connection or arcing short.

gregzoll 11-16-2012 11:41 PM

Look for smoke from the ensuing fire caused by that short. Placing a load on a genset, and causing it to ramp up, means that you are causing damage to the Rectifier & resistor in the unit.

You really need to wire up a proper connection for the genset, vs. running a bunch of extension cords that are probably not any good.

frenchelectrican 11-17-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplegrapes (Post 1053931)
I have a 8000/6500 Honda generator that I am using to power our water pump and the cabin.

I have an extension cord with four wires and a power line that runs to the cabin with three wires. And I wired those three wires to the four wire extension cord, then plugged that into the generator on the side that says 120 volt and 240 volt.

Everything in the cabin came on as I turned on the switches. Then in the closet of the only bedroom, one of the lights flickered and went out. Then you could hear some zapping noise, and everything went out. But there was no breaker kicked anywhere. ??? And the generator was running harder than it should have been.

What did I do wrong? What do I do next? :eek::eek:


can you clearify the part the three wire is that from the POCO ( Power Company ) ?? and do you have breaker box in your cabin ??

I just hope that you are NOT backfeeding the generator power back to uility system which that is super dangerous.

Merci,
Marc

purplegrapes 11-17-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 1053949)
Without knowing how you connected the wires we can't say. Sounds like it could have been a wiring issue in the bedroom, possibly a loose connection or arcing short.

I agree. It sounded like a short in the ceiling when the light went out.

purplegrapes 11-17-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1053971)
Look for smoke from the ensuing fire caused by that short. Placing a load on a genset, and causing it to ramp up, means that you are causing damage to the Rectifier & resistor in the unit.

You really need to wire up a proper connection for the genset, vs. running a bunch of extension cords that are probably not any good.

This is a top-notch cord from Lowe's that is even bigger than it calls for. It sounds like there is a short in the ceiling, not in the wiring. And I haven't found any breakers that have gone off or any burns or shorts so far. But I thought I heard a short!

purplegrapes 11-17-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchelectrican (Post 1053996)
can you clearify the part the three wire is that from the POCO ( Power Company ) ?? and do you have breaker box in your cabin ??

I just hope that you are NOT backfeeding the generator power back to uility system which that is super dangerous.

Merci,
Marc

We're not on a power grid. Strictly runs from a generator. We do have a breaker box in the cabin. We're not backfeeding.

gregzoll 11-17-2012 10:55 AM

Does not matter what the gauge of the cord is. What you did was cause a situation that is putting more stress on the rectifier & resistor in the generator from the dead short somewhere. So keep doing it, and that cabin will no longer be off the grid, it will be on the ground in ashes.

purplegrapes 11-17-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzoll (Post 1054220)
Does not matter what the gauge of the cord is. What you did was cause a situation that is putting more stress on the rectifier & resistor in the generator from the dead short somewhere. So keep doing it, and that cabin will no longer be off the grid, it will be on the ground in ashes.

We aren't still doing it. lol. We stopped the connection as soon as it happened. Not that stupid.

Dave632 11-17-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplegrapes (Post 1054236)
We aren't still doing it. lol. We stopped the connection as soon as it happened. Not that stupid.

Purple,
Read some of the other threads in this forum. There's a reason that you'll see a lot of replies that begin: Turn off the main breaker! Use a multimeter to verify!
The poster was just exercising due caution. We wouldn't want to read a headline some day that says DIYer electrocuted after following online advice.

gregzoll 11-17-2012 01:05 PM

Dave, if they are Off the grid, there is no main breaker. It would just be a panel full of breakers for the circuits, with no incoming power from a electrical grid.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.