Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

need help with switch and outlet

hello everyone my name is william,I'm hoping you can help me out with this one issue I have.
In my bathroom I have a switch with 2 switches on it that I need to replace, it controls the light,an exhaust fan and a gfci receptacle, all the white wires are wire nut together,the black power source is conected to one of the common screws,the black wire from the gfci is conected to the other common screw and the light and fan black wires are connected to each of the other remaining traveler screws and there is also the ground wire connected to the green screw.the fan switch works fine on and off with no interruption but when I turn the light switch off the gfci also goes off. I like to keep the gfci on all of the time. I tried 2 new switches and they both do the same, I also tried conecting the light wire on the common screw and the gfci on the traveler screw and this time the gfci turns on and off by the switch but the light stays on all the time. Is there something I'm doing wrong? i would appreciate any help you can provide to me thank you.

cautio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Try pigtailing that GFI from the power wire, instead of feeding it thru the light switch: Take the black power wire, the feed wire from the GFI and a 3rd pigtail wire to the common terminal of the switch and twist them together in a wire nut.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #3

You need two black pigtails (short lengths), one for the common terminal of each switch. Connect these with the power black wire and the GFCI line* side black wire (four ends altogether, one wire nut).

Non-3-way switches (have just one traveler terminal plus the common terminal, neither screw is dark colored and it does not matter which is which) work just as well here and cost less.

* The body of the GFCI is engraved "line" at one end for the power feed and "load" at the other end to continue GFCI protection to other things.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-09-2010 at 11:56 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote