Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Need Help... Single Pole Wiring - Timer

Hi! New to this forum and looking for some help.

Before I start I do not know much about electrical and certainly not the terminology so please keep that in mind when responding

I am trying to replace what seems to be a single pole switch which control by outside lights with a timer.

The existing switch simply had two wires connected to it. The lights are only controlled from this single switch.

I purchased the Vizia + Decora timer. The instructions seem to be identical to these: http://www.hankselectric.net/pdf/lev...structions.pdf

Step 4a "single pole wiring application" shows a connection for black, white and red wire (plus ground). My initial attempt was to connect the black and white wires to the two existing wires in the box leaving the red wire unconnected. There is power going to the timer but switching it on and off does not affect the outdoor lights.

Anyone can help me out here?

Thanks,
Martin

abcdefg611999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Electrician

Black is your line, this comes from the power in your house.
Red is the load, this is connected to the light
White is for a neutral, if there is only two wires in the box you won't be able to use the timer without getting another wire in there. If your lucky you will have some white wires joined together in the back of the box, if you do hook the white wire to this and it should be good.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darren For This Useful Post:
abcdefg611999 (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Black is your line, this comes from the power in your house.
Red is the load, this is connected to the light
White is for a neutral, if there is only two wires in the box you won't be able to use the timer without getting another wire in there. If your lucky you will have some white wires joined together in the back of the box, if you do hook the white wire to this and it should be good.

Yep, you are correct. there is another switch in this box and behind it was a bunch of white wires connected together. I added the timer's white wire to it and connected the red wire to the light. Works great now!! Thanks!!
abcdefg611999 is offline   Reply With Quote