Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Share |

Need help separating a light with new switch from existing loop

I have 9 light fixtures in my basement. Every light is on/off controllable from 3 different switches (top of steps, bottom of steps, and from the middle of the basement)

I want to break one of these 9 lights out and put it on it's own switch without interrupting power to the other 8 lights. Eventually I'll be doing the same to the other lights as I move through my basement finishing project but for now, I'm only focused on the one.

The light I want to break out appears to be the end of the (a) loop as there's only one set of black/white/ground coming into it. To make matters more complicated for me, the electrical design for my basement, in the blue prints, doesn't match what was actually done by the contractors when they built my house 4 years ago; very frustrating!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #2

if you are at the end of the circuit, you can just disconnect the wires at the fixture and cap them (they will still be hot). run new conductor from the fixture to your new switch location.

if you don't want extra hot conductors at the fixture, figure out which fixture is 'upstream' and serves the fixture you want to modify. disconnect those wires at that fixture which run to the fixture you are modifying. now the wires at the modified fixture will be dead and the only hot in there would be that associated with your new switch.

this assumes you will put the modified fixture on a different circuit. if you want to keep it on the same circuit (but not in the switch loop), you will need to figure out which switch or fixture has the incoming power from your panel.

itsnotrequired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
if you want to keep it on the same circuit (but not in the switch loop), you will need to figure out which switch or fixture has the incoming power from your panel.
This is what I want to do - same circuit. So, I need to follow the power from my panel to the first fixture or switch. Once I locate that, I'm a bit lost on my next steps.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffter View Post
This is what I want to do - same circuit. So, I need to follow the power from my panel to the first fixture or switch. Once I locate that, I'm a bit lost on my next steps.
from wherever the hot is, you will need to run a new hot/neutral over to your new switch and then another set of conductors from the switch to the light. there should already be a hot and neutral at wherever the incoming power comes in.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #5

Ok, Perfect. That makes sense. Now I just have to make sense of how this is running from the panel since the drawings weren't followed by the contractor. I assume the hot is normally run to the the nearest switch to the panel in the current 3-way setup?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffter View Post
Ok, Perfect. That makes sense. Now I just have to make sense of how this is running from the panel since the drawings weren't followed by the contractor. I assume the hot is normally run to the the nearest switch to the panel in the current 3-way setup?
you actually two three-ways and one four-way switch. power will be coming into one of the three way switches. the four-way switch will be 'between' the three-ways.

Last edited by itsnotrequired; 11-11-2013 at 01:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to itsnotrequired For This Useful Post:
griffter (11-11-2013)

Tags
light fixture, switches